Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive v. fusion v. flash?

I have an opportunity to order a new 27" iMac for my office and do not know the difference in the hard drive choices. Can someone explain the benefit of:

1TB or 3TB 7200 rpm hard drive

1TB or 3TB fusion drive

768GB Flash storage?

I understand that 1T is smaller space than 3T but have no idea about a Fusion or Flash drive.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 1:53 PM

1 reply

Aug 13, 2013 1:58 PM in response to lilskye

A Fusion drive is a hybrid of a standard hard drive and solid-state "flash" storage. For an in-depth description, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Drive

A Fusion drive will in most circumstances give better permance, often quite significantly more, than a hard drivea alone, but not as high as an all-solid-state storage unit. The trade-off is cost; solid-state storage is much more expensive than a standard hard drive. I opted for a 1TB Fusion drive in my iMac to get the improved performance without the extreme cost of a full SSD. Whether that will make sense for you will depend on your needs in storage vs. performance vs. cost.

Regards.

hard drive v. fusion v. flash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.