Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 160GB iPod classic. How do I get my HD movies from itunes to this iPod?

I have a 160GB iPod classic. I have HD and 1080P HD movies purchased through itunes. How do I get them to my iPod classic? It has plenty of storage. It gives me errors that make no sense to me. If making an error message, why can't they be more specific? The error messages unknown error occured (-50) audio and because they cannot be played on this iPod, "The Bourne Identity" was not copied because the video format is not supported by the iPod. I'm tired of buying 20 different versions of this and 20 different devices to play items I've purchased. Can anyone help with this issue please?

Thank you.

Henry

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 5:30 PM

9 replies

Aug 16, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Meagain97

Hello Henry,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing when trying to sync your movies purchased through the iTunes Store to your iPod classic. I found an article with some useful information:

The iPad and iPhone 4 can play High Definition (HD) content and Standard Definition (SD) content. iPods and the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS can play Standard Definition (SD) content. To find what video formats are supported, see the Tech Specs page, click your device's product family, and then your specific model. All HD purchases from the iTunes Store also include an iPod/iPhone-compatible Standard Definition version to accompany the HD version. When syncing an HD purchase from the iTunes Store, iTunes will automatically sync the SD video for devices that require SD content.

You can find the full article here:

iTunes: May be unable to transfer videos to iPhone, iPad, or iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1497

You can download the SD version of the movies from your list of past purchases. You can find the steps to do this in the section titled "Apps, Books, Music, Movies, or TV shows on a computer" in the following article:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Sep 25, 2013 6:11 PM in response to sheila_m.

Apple at one time would let those who purchased HD movies download the SD version. I no longer experience this. I don't have a time, it seems to be a couple years ago, I purchased a couple HD movies that would not play on my computer running windows xp. I was asked if I wanted to download the SD version for no additional cost. Now, a pop-up informs me I must have windows 7 or later or a monitor compatible with HD. I do not get the SD version unless I pay the SD price. Not happy about this.

Thank you all for your input.

Sep 27, 2013 2:38 PM in response to Meagain97

Hi Meagain97,

Thank you for the additional information. I'm not sure if you have tried the steps below to download the SD version, but I recommend trying them if you have not yet:

Syncing video to iPhone 3G or earlier, iPod touch (1st or 2nd generation), iPod classic, iPod 5th generation, or iPod nano (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation)

1. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. You can download the latest version for free here.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  3. From the Store menu, choose Store > Sign In, and then enter your Apple ID and password.
  4. Navigate to your Purchased page. Find it by clicking Movies or TV Shows from the top navigation bar in the iTunes Store, and then click Purchasedfrom "QUICK LINKS" in the iTunes Store.
  5. Choose the appropriate video type: Movies or TV Shows.
  6. In the lower-right corner of the screen, deselect the box next to "Download HD When Available."
  7. Search for the desired video and click the download button.
  8. This should download the standard definition version to your computer so you can sync to your devic

You can find the full article here:

iTunes: Sync purchased HD videos to iPod or iOS device

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4223

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Sep 28, 2013 12:36 AM in response to Meagain97

I would try iSkysoft. I remember it having a nice video converter to over 16 great presets (iPods, iPod touches etc...). use the Apple TV 2 Preset (gives you 720p) or High Profile (gives you 1080p).

using either preset you can still adjust the resolution, but its a quick and easy way to do it. High profile preset will be slower than using the Apple TV2 Preset and just upping the resolution setting.

I have a 160GB iPod classic. How do I get my HD movies from itunes to this iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.