Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proper placement of new Airport?

We have some older (flat-style) airports here in the office which we want to replace with the newer models. Unfortunately, the newer model is not mountable to the wall, which I can solve with a small shelf and velcro (curious what others are doing).

However, before I go through that trouble, given the new design, I would like advice on proper placement of these units. My guess is they are designed to sit at desk-level and not up on the wall (as most of our university access points are stationed). But I want to confirm this before making a decision.

Thanks in advance...

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 4:03 PM

The antennas are now located up in the top of the "tower", so the new AirPorts would work best on a desk or shelf.

If you want to use a shelf, I would go for higher placement of the AirPort on the wall, if only to give more wireless devices a clear line-of-sight to the new AirPort.

I have a new AirPort set up in my home office located on top of a set of bookcases. So, the AirPort sits at maybe 6.5-7 feet off the ground with the top of the AirPort about a foot down from the ceiling. Works well.

Unless you have a number of 802.11ac capable computers in the office, You will not likely notice much improvement with your current wireless devices when they are used with the new AirPorts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Forrest

The antennas are now located up in the top of the "tower", so the new AirPorts would work best on a desk or shelf.

If you want to use a shelf, I would go for higher placement of the AirPort on the wall, if only to give more wireless devices a clear line-of-sight to the new AirPort.

I have a new AirPort set up in my home office located on top of a set of bookcases. So, the AirPort sits at maybe 6.5-7 feet off the ground with the top of the AirPort about a foot down from the ceiling. Works well.

Unless you have a number of 802.11ac capable computers in the office, You will not likely notice much improvement with your current wireless devices when they are used with the new AirPorts.

Proper placement of new Airport?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.