Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I type the letters look like symbols. Any suggestions?

My Macbook Pro is powering on but I am unable to connect to internet. When I type in password the keyboard only types capital letters.. When I type other places the letters look like symbols. Any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 5:48 PM

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2013 5:48 PM in response to tennisfirst

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Aug 13, 2013 7:45 PM in response to tennisfirst

I followed the directions for the safe boot again. This time the screen did did come up asking me to enter my password. Only problem, when I entered my password it did not sign me in. I am pretty sure I am typing the correct password but as I am typing (even though it does not show the letter-it shows asterisks) it is probably picking up only capitals instead of the lower case letters that I am trying to type? not sure

Aug 14, 2013 7:34 AM in response to Linc Davis

I tried following the suggestions in the support article but it did not work.

One thing that I see that is different from my current MacBook Pro than my older MacBook Pro is this:

On my OLDER MacBookPro (that is NOT connecting to the internet),

if I go to TextEdit, then click on TextEdit in the upper left hand corner, point at the "Services", the top choice is ChineseTextConverter...

On my CURRENT MacBookPro, it does not say ChineseTextConverter when I follow the same TextEdit steps...

I realize this most likely does not have anything to do with my problem...

Aug 14, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

I also do not understand that when I first typed my network password it typed the correct associated keys with the exception of recognizing each keystroke as if the Caps Lock was on (when the Caps Lock was not on). But when I typed anywhere else it consistantly typed strange and but consistently different characters for each key (like each key has a different strang character instead of a different letter)...

When I type the letters look like symbols. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.