Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Hard Drive Space

I erased a 296g file from my hard drive and only gained 110g. What can I do to reclaim that space? Thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 7:28 PM

18 replies

Aug 13, 2013 9:30 PM in response to nbar

Here's the log from verifying the disk. So, I'm instructed to repari fom the recovery partition. I'll report back when I'm finished.

Checking file systemPerforming live verification.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Incorrect block count for file Thumb64Segment.data

(It should be 67584 instead of 648001)

Incorrect block count for file ThumbJPGSegment.data

(It should be 36864 instead of 324001)

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks

Checking volume information.

Invalid volume free block count

(It should be 29761969 instead of 28894415)

The volume Anndee-Macbook was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Aug 13, 2013 10:36 PM in response to Anndee

Those warnings are commonplace and not necessarily significant.

If the computer is started up from the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) and Disk Utility finds errors on it, there is not necessarily anything wrong. Only when started up from the CD should Disk Utility reports of errors on the Mac OS X hard disk (or disk partition) be considered accurate.

Disk Utility incorrectly reports disk errors on startup volume

If you're reading free space from the Storage display, then this is likely the reason for your confusion:

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Missing Hard Drive Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.