Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to Imac - a few questions.

Hi,

I have just purchased a Macbook Pro 15" but I havent got a clue how to use it, totally different from Windows (obviously)...

When it comes to closing a page, such as this webpage in safari, I click the red cross at the top left, it still seems to keep it open in the background. However, if I press cmd + alt + Q it fully closes it.. How can this be done the same way when I click the cross?

Also, where's my files / folders located? How can I lock the "File Manager" to the dock at the bottom..

I have hundreds of questions to ask, but I'll start off with these.

Thanks,

Dan

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 2:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 2:46 AM

The cross will just close a window, not an application. To close an application, you will need to either use the key combination (command + Q), or from the menu bar of the application ( Safari, for example... > Quit).

"Finder" acts as your file manager. You can modify the sidebar option in Finder > Preferences > Sidebar to show your different paths (your whole disk, for example). Additionally, you can modify the view options (View > Show view options) in finder to customize the way in which the files are displayed.

Hopes this helps, as a start. Welcome. Cheers.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2013 2:46 AM in response to DMR123

The cross will just close a window, not an application. To close an application, you will need to either use the key combination (command + Q), or from the menu bar of the application ( Safari, for example... > Quit).

"Finder" acts as your file manager. You can modify the sidebar option in Finder > Preferences > Sidebar to show your different paths (your whole disk, for example). Additionally, you can modify the view options (View > Show view options) in finder to customize the way in which the files are displayed.

Hopes this helps, as a start. Welcome. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2013 2:47 AM in response to DMR123

DMR123 wrote:

When it comes to closing a page, such as this webpage in safari, I click the red cross at the top left, it still seems to keep it open in the background. However, if I press cmd + alt + Q it fully closes it.. How can this be done the same way when I click the cross?

This behavior depends on the app. Most apps, like Safari, are not closed when you press the close button. Instead, you are just closing its window. To close the app, you have to press Command and Q keys. You don't need to press the Alt one.

However, other apps can be closed by simply pressing the close button. There's no way to change this.

DMR123 wrote:

Also, where's my files / folders located? How can I lock the "File Manager" to the dock at the bottom..

The file manager in OS X is the Finder > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2470?viewlocale=en_US To access to it, press its icon at the left of the Dock. It's easy to navigate through your folders, as you can see them in the Finder sidebar

Aug 14, 2013 2:52 AM in response to DMR123

It's the same in OS X. Double-click a text and it will be selected. Then, right-click the text and select copy, or just drag the text to another place.

As you have a trackpad, you can turn on a gesture in System Preferences > Trackpad that allows you to select a text or drag a window with a three-finger gesture

Aug 14, 2013 2:58 AM in response to DMR123

Thanks again,

Also...

Is it possible to change the touchpad, so it is similar to Windows i.e. bottom left is click, and right is right click, rather than the default settings.

I would like to still be able to click using the bottom left and navigate / cursor using the rest / top half of the touch pad.

I've spent £1500 on something I havent got a clue how to use haha.

Thanks

New to Imac - a few questions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.