Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlock audio files in Logic Pro X?

With earlier versions of Logic, I used to be able to split audio files - in particular, recorded vocals - to increase or decrease the gain on specific notes or phrases if they were too quiet or too loud, relative to the rest of a recording I was happy with. But I can't seem to do that in Logic Pro X. Logic tells me the audio track is "locked", even if I split it, and therefore I can't change the gain. Nor can I separately normalize separate verses, choruses etc recorded on the same track, even when they have been separately recorded.

I can't find any reference to locking or unlocking audio files in the user guide. Splitting a file and converting to a new region or new audio file has no effect. It's driving me crazy!! Anyone got any suggestions?

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2016 2:26 PM

On the arrangement window:
- Right click in your audio file
- SMTPE Lock

- Unlock

That's all 😉

12 replies

Aug 24, 2013 9:15 AM in response to Subnormmal

Hey Sub,

From the the Finder, find the folder with your track in it, the "cmd i" for info and unlock the folder by pressing the padlock symbol at the bottom, this will also unlock all the audio inside it and you will allow your destructive editing again. Infact, you can do this for your whole Logic folder in one go if you want.

Peace

Zaflon

Aug 15, 2013 1:54 PM in response to Subnormmal

Ok, figured it out. Quite easy actually... NO NEED TO CUT A TRACK OR PRE BOUNCE!

Start off by double clicking your audio track. You should now get the "Track" window at the bottom. There will be a tab next to the Track tab called "File." Select the File tab, and now highlight piece of audio you desire to edit. Now, your going to click the "Functions" menu, and you'll see "Change Gain." I beleive this is what you are looking for. I know I was looking for this all of the time I had LP9. I guess I should have looked a bit better. You'll also have other options such as reverse, invert + more. I definitily need that reverse one for making clean versions of certain tracks. I'd recomend haveing a copy of the original recording before editing.

Have fun!

-Rydah

Aug 15, 2013 9:14 PM in response to Rydah805

Yeah, thanks. That's how I've always done it before. Pro X seems to allow you to do that once on a track but then does the same thing of saying the file is locked from then on, even when you've gone through all the change gain settings and processed it. In LP9 I used to be able to change gain repeatedly until I got it exactly how I wanted it.

The only way I've found so far is to quit the software, re-open it and then I get a single fresh attempt to correct the file to how I want it before it too tells me it is locked. I guess I can do that as many times as I like until I get it right but that's all bizarre.

I can't open Pro X files in LP9 so can't just do the vocals in LP9.

I guess I just don't understand how the audio files are being handled in Pro X but it's very different to how they were handled in previous versions and I can no longer do what I want to do. I'll keep on trying and will report anything I learn but am so disappointed in all this. The software is clearly great and the output sounds fantastic but I'm now having to move every separate little audio file onto separate tracks, use the one attempt to normalize each of them and then mix each little file separately to get the final output I want.

How do I unlock audio files in Logic Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.