Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing internet to iPhone via usb from MBP

Where I am sitting has a pretty low wifi strength signal, so my MacBook Pro can connect to it, but my iPhone can't that easily.

When on youtube on my phone, when my laptop is doing something else, the internet on the phone flickers onto 3G without me noticing, causing me to go over on my contract every month.

I have used the internet sharing via ethernet with my TV (which worked), and would like to do the same, but with my iPhone, rather than using wifi.User uploaded file

On my iPhone, how would I connect to this, (the usb is plugged into my laptop)

Please help...

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), HELP

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 1:00 AM

You can’t. iPhone can only connect via cellular service or WiFi. You can try Create Network from your Mac’s Wifi menu, but I don’t know if this works when the Mac is already connected to another WiFi network. I have only used it when connected via ethernet, like in a hotel.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10666

7 replies

Dec 16, 2013 2:04 PM in response to Alli3

imho this should be automatic.

Laughing? Why?

Well, the logic is already there that if your phone can use wifi instead of 3G it will. So why would it be a jump to say that if your computer is directly to your computer that it shouldn't use that direct connection instead of wifi?

Yeah, I know - something would have to NAT, proxy or bridge.

I'd like to know why it wasn't done.

Apr 5, 2014 11:28 PM in response to Alli3

exactly my problem. low wifi. and international roaming costs prevent me from using 3G. so what to do?

the mac's system prefs suggest internet sharing to computers using iPhone usb.

and why, when i have a laptop along?

because i haven't my laptop everywhere along, and i have dropbox and evernote to sync, whatsapps to keep up with, a kindle book status to sync...

Sharing internet to iPhone via usb from MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.