Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA 13" mid 2011 fan loud with Admin account

Hello, i need help with my MacBook air 13" mid 2011. If i log in with Administrator Account, the fan goes up in no time and iStat menu says it is at 6500/7000rpm, if i log in with another account (not admin) i cannot hear the fan and iStat menu says it is at 2000rpm. Apple support wants to bring me the macbook to check it but it takes from 8 to 10 days and I don't have time because I need it to develop android apps. Can you, genius, help me please????

Alredy done: SMC reset, PRAM reset, NVRAM reset with no luck.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 regulary bought on Mac App Store

Other software (Photoshop, Autocad, etc...)

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 7:43 AM

6 replies

Aug 14, 2013 7:48 AM in response to LCPInternational

Open Activity Monitor and set it to ALL PROCESSES and %CPU to display values from high to low. When the fan starts spinning, look for applications that are using a lot of CPU resources.

Also try an Apple Hardware Test:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

You may have to start it with the OPTION and D keys.

See if there are any issues found.

Ciao.

Aug 14, 2013 7:53 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Ciao, are you italian? I am! ๐Ÿ™‚

Alredy done, the maximum amount of cpu used in this moment is from safari. It uses 3%. Any other app is using less than 1%.

I am not running any app (i am running just Safari) and it seems like a JET is flying under my fingers, but there isn't an airport on my keyboard.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Any other options?

Tried OPTION+D with no luck...

Aug 14, 2013 8:01 AM in response to LCPInternational

Since you have performed a SMC reset and there are no runaway applications and you cannot get the AHT to work, a trip to an Apple store genius bar or an AASP is the best option.

You could try a Safe boot and see if that has an affect:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

If the fan goes to the default speed, then there must be some third party item that is causing the rapid fan speed.

I am not Italian. Though Italian in origin, I view 'ciao' as an international word.

Ciao. Ciao. ๐Ÿ™‚

Aug 14, 2013 8:10 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you, you helped me a ton! Just booted up in Safe Mode, everything was working slow but my fan speed was 1800 rpm! I'll reinstall Mac OS X Mountain Lion an see what will happen. Thank you and Ciao! ๐Ÿ™‚

Off topic: Why do foreing people see italian people like they are always eating pasta and spaghetti??? hahahah ๐Ÿ™‚

MBA 13" mid 2011 fan loud with Admin account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.