Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes changes video/album info when I play video/songs

I have purchased movies, tv shows, and music on iTunes, and sometimes when I go to play a song or video I've downloaded iTunes changes the name/album/other info on the video/song, and it then changes where it is located in my iTunes folders, and album art changes as well. What is going on?! I've had it happen multiple times to both songs and videos. And unfortunately, even though it renames the files on my computer and in iTunes causing me to not be able to find them, I can not download them from the cloud because the cloud recognizes that those files are ON my computer (even though they're renamed and I would have to listen to thousands of songs just to find what it's been renamed to).

How can I stop this from happening and losing so much media that I've purchased on this computer?! I'm tempted to delete EVERYTHING, and redownload it from the cloud. However, what's to say it wouldn't happen all over again once I've done that?

Please let me know if you've experienced something similar and what can be done to correct the problem.

Thank you so much.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 9:50 AM

16 replies

Aug 14, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Z_B-B

User uploaded fileI've opened it to see where files are, then clicked on them in iTunes and watched them disappear from one location in Finder and show up in another folder. An example is I downloaded the movie Sherlock Holmes. It appears in Movies in iTunes while it downloads. Once it finishes downloading, I watched it move into a different folder. And for some reason it's info/data is tied with an episode of Ghost Hunters (Haunted Reform) that I purchased a long time ago. Now, in my movies Ghost Hunters appears, but all of the data like director and cast is listed as Sherlock Holmes. It makes no sense. So, I delete both Sherlock Holmes and the Ghost Hunters episode, remove them from my trash, go into My Purchases in iTunes, click to download Sherlock Holmes from the cloud and BOTH Sherlock Holmes and this Ghost Hunters episode start downloading.

Turns out when I look at the downloads FROM ITUNES Sherlock Holmes was only 250mb (the size of an SD episode of Ghost Hunters) and the Ghost Hunters episode is 1.88GB (the size of Sherlock Holmes)! So, is this my computer reading the iTunes downloads wrong and applying the wrong info or is this an iTunes problem? I've had it happen to albums I've purchased as well.

Aug 14, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Z_B-B

I had a similar issue with my songs (don't have a lot of video so this has not been an issue). iTunes created a new .itl file on 8/8/13 on me when mine all started happening. I've found that if I play a song, the name/title changes to be correct. I can then manually change the sorting data so it comes out correctly. I am worried about a corrupt file that might make this happen again. But yes, it does sound like a library file issue to me.

Aug 14, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Z_B-B

User uploaded fileWow. Guess I was wrong. Sherlock Holmes still has the wrong info, as you can see. Sherlock Holmes is playing, but the title reads Haunted Reform which is an episode of Ghost Hunters.

Thanks for the links. I'll read into it. I'd hate to have to completely redo my whole iTunes collection, but if that's the only answer... Maybe I should. Or take all of my media and make the move to a Windows platform. Ugh.

Aug 14, 2013 2:19 PM in response to curtraymond

Yeah turns out the Sherlock Holmes file is an iTunes Extra file where it is now showing up correctly in Movies, but when I play it, it is listed as this Ghost Hunters episode but with the correct chapter name from the movie.

So, if I want to create a new iTunes Library.itl file, can I do that without losing all of the media and organization? Would I also be able to just delete iTunes and reinstall it to get the same result?

I wish Apple would have step by step instructions on how to handle this corrupted file.

Dec 15, 2013 12:23 PM in response to curtraymond

I'm having the exact same issue, and it's driving me crazy. Like you, it's been happening for a while, through several updates. This can get confusing, so let me use actual titles to keep this straight. Went to play Lady Gaga "Bad Romance". The album art totally changed to Swell Season and the song "Back Broke" started playing even though the track was still labeled with Lady Gaga info.

So, I tracked down Swell Season "Back Broke" and played that, and it morphed into a completely different song! I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole with my songs. AND even though the Lady Gaga track renamed itself to Swell Season "Back Broke" and plays Swell Season "Back Broke", it still sorts alphabetically as if it's Lady Gaga.

My favorite incident so far has been a song with track info A, album art B, and the actual song that plays is C. Three in one combo! All of these have been with purchased songs.

Deleting and downloading the incorrect tracks from the cloud doesn't do anything. Problem remains. When I tried to redownload Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" from previous purchases in the store, it said that it was "not available in the US store." ????? Should I abandon my itunes library and thousands of dollars worth of purchased songs and just do a monthly thing like Spotify? Because the only solution that has worked so far is REBUYING songs I've already purchased!!

Ridiculous. Apple, find a solution and break it down for me step-by-step. Because I know I'm not the only person with this issue.

Dec 15, 2013 2:08 PM in response to RaefromTX

This is just ridiculous. If it's an iTunes Library file that is messed up, then it is not my fault. It is the Apple product failing. I'm on a newer Mac, newer OS, using updated iTunes. So, if the iTunes file is corrupt, and I lose songs or media, then it SHOULD be iTunes' (and Apple's) responsibility to fix the problem, right? We shouldn't have to pay TWICE for media that we already purchased just to have it labeled correctly in THEIR program on THEIR OS on THEIR computer.

Hope you find a solution RaefromTX. Even if you have to make a new iTunes Library file.

I don't know what's worse. This problem or iOS 7 not allowing us to delete full albums from our devices OR clear out the cache of the streaming songs we play unless we download them and then delete them. I'm tired of innovation. How about just getting really good at making things work before you mess them up again?!

iTunes changes video/album info when I play video/songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.