Skip navigation

iMac 2009 with windows partition

187 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 12:22 PM by Kappy RSS
Markcw98a Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 14, 2013 2:06 PM

I hope this is a simple question.   I have an iMac with a 750G hard drive.   I have 2 partitions- one with Mountain Lion and one with Windows 7 installed.   I use VM Fusion to run the Windows 7.   I would like to put in a bigger drive and move both partitions over to the new drive.   I am looking for the best way to migrate my partitions once the new drive is installed. I would keep the Windows partition the same size (90GB).  

Thanks in advance.  

Mark

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Also iPad2 and legacy iPhone.
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,005 points)
    Aug 14, 2013 2:16 PM (in response to Markcw98a)

You start by putting the new drive into an external enclosure suitable for a SATA drive of the capacity you purchased.

Use Disk Utility from the Recovery HD to partition and format your new drive in the same configuration as your old one.

Use Disk Utility to clone your OS X partition to the new drive.

Install the new drive into the computer. Install the old drive in the enclosure.

Dealing with your Windows partition is quite another matter. See the following:

1. Migrating a Bootcamp Partition with Winclone - twocanoes software
    2. How to clone an entire disk with Lion (+Rescue) & Bootcamp Partitions
    3. Cloning 250 GB hard drive to 512 SSD with bootcamp partition - iFixit
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,005 points)
    Aug 15, 2013 12:22 PM (in response to Markcw98a)

Don't sweat it. Glad to help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.