Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2009 with windows partition

I hope this is a simple question. I have an iMac with a 750G hard drive. I have 2 partitions- one with Mountain Lion and one with Windows 7 installed. I use VM Fusion to run the Windows 7. I would like to put in a bigger drive and move both partitions over to the new drive. I am looking for the best way to migrate my partitions once the new drive is installed. I would keep the Windows partition the same size (90GB).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Also iPad2 and legacy iPhone.

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 2:16 PM

You start by putting the new drive into an external enclosure suitable for a SATA drive of the capacity you purchased.

Use Disk Utility from the Recovery HD to partition and format your new drive in the same configuration as your old one.

Use Disk Utility to clone your OS X partition to the new drive.

Install the new drive into the computer. Install the old drive in the enclosure.

Dealing with your Windows partition is quite another matter. See the following:

1. Migrating a Bootcamp Partition with Winclone - twocanoes software
  2. How to clone an entire disk with Lion (+Rescue) & Bootcamp Partitions
  3. Cloning 250 GB hard drive to 512 SSD with bootcamp partition - iFixit
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2013 2:16 PM in response to Markcw98a

You start by putting the new drive into an external enclosure suitable for a SATA drive of the capacity you purchased.

Use Disk Utility from the Recovery HD to partition and format your new drive in the same configuration as your old one.

Use Disk Utility to clone your OS X partition to the new drive.

Install the new drive into the computer. Install the old drive in the enclosure.

Dealing with your Windows partition is quite another matter. See the following:

1. Migrating a Bootcamp Partition with Winclone - twocanoes software
  2. How to clone an entire disk with Lion (+Rescue) & Bootcamp Partitions
  3. Cloning 250 GB hard drive to 512 SSD with bootcamp partition - iFixit

Aug 15, 2013 8:33 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you for the response. I read through the links on the Windows partition and I see several suggested ways. I never heard of sysprep.exe but found it when I followed the instructions. That makes real sense if I were installing to a new machine. Since I am just putting in a bigger drive, I assume that I would not need or want to do that. I would want to keep all the drivers. So, if I do not remove drivers or need to shrink the image, I could start at step 10.

The second link looks more direct, but also requires some terminal commands. The third link is a variant of the first, using True Image. I think Winclone looks like the winner to me for now.

I need to research drives now and dig into the links you provided. Thanks.

Mark

iMac 2009 with windows partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.