Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I referred to iphoto08 images as "broken" because in the Originals folder they show up as little white squares with arrows, jpg markings, and a quicktime logo. The images they refer to were deleted from an event so why are they still there?

And if I click on the little white icons, I get that message about not being able to find the original. What would happen if I deleted these disfunctional icons since there's no original to be found anyway? I will not do anything however because all the advice is against making any changes through the Finder. But can I copy the non-alias images (the ones that open up when clicked and show a full resolution image) from the Originals file to put into a folder of my own making or to use in a new library?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 1:55 PM

3 replies

Aug 14, 2013 4:52 PM in response to Tintoretto

The files with arrows on the are alias files which are indictative of a "referenced" libraray.

User uploaded file

Check the iPhoto Advnaced preference pane and see if the checkbox to copy photos into the library during import is checked or not. If not you have a referenced library.

If that's the case I'd use iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild you library which will convert the library to a managed one and include all available original/master photos in it along the keywords, titles, albums, etc. Here's how:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

and select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

• Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

• User uploaded file

• In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

I referred to iphoto08 images as "broken" because in the Originals folder they show up as little white squares with arrows, jpg markings, and a quicktime logo. The images they refer to were deleted from an event so why are they still there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.