Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should i Uninstall Logic 9 before i Install Logic Pro X or can i use both Versions on one Mac???

Should i Uninstall Logic 9 before i Install Logic Pro X or can i use both Versions on one Mac???
Please Help...Thx

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 4:08 PM

Yes, you can leave both versions on your Mac.. They can reside and work happily, side by side.. Unless you have a good reason to delete LP9 (Like you have a small sized SSD and are running out of System Disk space) then I would leave it be...

Note: I think it is better for people to leave LP9 on their system in case they created projects in the past using LP9 that included 32bit plugins as LPX no longer supports those older plugins and so when you open older projects that used them, in LPX, they will be missing certain sounds/instruments.... Also a few of the plugins included with LPX are slightly different to the same ones in LP9 (The electric piano for example) so you get a slightly different sound in your mixes.. if you listen to the same project in LP9 and LPX...

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2013 4:08 PM in response to P-Pro

Yes, you can leave both versions on your Mac.. They can reside and work happily, side by side.. Unless you have a good reason to delete LP9 (Like you have a small sized SSD and are running out of System Disk space) then I would leave it be...

Note: I think it is better for people to leave LP9 on their system in case they created projects in the past using LP9 that included 32bit plugins as LPX no longer supports those older plugins and so when you open older projects that used them, in LPX, they will be missing certain sounds/instruments.... Also a few of the plugins included with LPX are slightly different to the same ones in LP9 (The electric piano for example) so you get a slightly different sound in your mixes.. if you listen to the same project in LP9 and LPX...

Aug 14, 2013 9:28 PM in response to akelley

There is a lot of shared material... and a fair bit of new material in LPX.. but for the most part what was in LP9 that isn't in LPX, isn't that much.. just a few older SI and FX plugins to be honest.. and maybe a few loops here and there..so if you don't have a fairly large number of LP9 projects and you don't use 32bit plugins that much, you could get away with just leaving LPX installed..

However, I'm not sure i'd recommend trying to uninstall LP9 and it's content if you have already installed LPX and it's content.. as that might cause a few issues...trying to identify correctly what is not used in LPX.. and just deleting the LP9 app won't save you that much space anythow.. But, if you have not yet installed LPX and it's content.. then you should be good to go..in fully uninstalling LP9

Oct 13, 2015 1:08 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I know this thread is two years old but I can't find an answer anywhere on the net... unless,

@The Art of Sound, if you can lead me to a thread or an article with the answer to my question I will gladly go there. If not, my question is, what would be the definitive way, without the help of app removing software, to remove Logic Pro 9 after I have already installed Logic Pro X?

Thanks and have a good one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.