Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URGENT HELP!!!! I just spilt tea on my macbook pro while it was on

I spilt tea and was quick and shut it off and turned it upside down to get the majority of the water out. I tried turning it on and it did turn on!! Yet the screen would flash black and then back to displaying the wallpaper. I decided to turn it off and upside down in an air coniditioned room so it will dry off, what else should i do??????? When should i turn it back on?????? Thanks for your help everyone!

P.s my laptop currently has no battery so it must be connected to a power source in order to turn on

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 5:31 PM

.. might be too late.. turning it back on was a mistake.. leave it off.. do not connect power for a few days.. if you know how to take the bottom pan off, suggest you do so to get the last bit of water out..

3 replies

Aug 14, 2013 5:32 PM in response to bvalen

Immediately disconnect all peripherals, power cord & remove the battery. Turn the computer over with the lid partly open and the hinge facing upward to let the liquid drain. Do not flop it over and lay it flat - you want to separate it from the moisture. Place paper or cloth towels under the machine to sop up the mess.

After the computer disgorges whatever you spilled on it, don't turn it on for 72 hours or longer. You want to computer to dry out completely before turning it on again.

Some users here swear by hairdryers. Blow drying the innards may bake whatever was in the liquid onto delicate computer components. Better to let the computer air dry.

Use plain tepid water to clean out the computer. If you spilled iced beverage more than likely this ice fried the hot motherboard.

Sugary, acidic or milky drinks will almost always cause problems later on as the residue starts slowly corroding the computer innards.

Swab down any sticky parts with distilled water or denatured alcohol.

If none of the above works, you will need to take the computer to a repair shop. Apple Care does not cover liquid or food damage. Believe me, they can tell. So the old "my computer stopped working" line is not going to work. 😀

Liquid damage is not covered under Apple's standard 1 year warranty or Apple Care.

NOTE: If you are out of warranty and purchased the computer with a credit card, discuss the warranty issue with the credit card company which you purchased the computer with. They are the only ones who can at this point cover the computer after it goes out of warranty with the manufacturer (Apple).

If you have Homeowners insurance, place a claim with them.

bvalen wrote:

P.s my laptop currently has no battery so it must be connected to a power source in order to turn on

MacBook and MacBook Pro: Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A/C adaptor

User uploaded file

URGENT HELP!!!! I just spilt tea on my macbook pro while it was on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.