Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro has made a periodic clicking sound since just a few days after purchasing it. Happens no matter if the computer is working hard. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

my macbook pro has made a periodic clicking sound since just a few days after purchasing it. Happens no matter if the computer is working hard. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 8:39 PM

yes, normal, your new macbook pro has a Toshiba 5400RPM hard drive in it, very reliable, the best made in fact (Hitachi/Toshiba 2.5"), however that specfic model of Toshiba is known to be a bit on the "noisy" side. 😁

Ive got a swarm of those same make and model Toshiba/Hitachi HD, and same as you, one in my new Macbook Pro. Its the sound of the heads

Normal , heres a video with great detail of the normal clicking (not the clicking of a dead or dying HD!) of a conventional HD, and the noise with the HD cover removed (which you should NEVER do by the way)

the exact make and model of HD in your macbook Pro (if you bought it within the past 10 months) is a Toshiba MK****SXF 😊

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2013 8:39 PM in response to jill212

yes, normal, your new macbook pro has a Toshiba 5400RPM hard drive in it, very reliable, the best made in fact (Hitachi/Toshiba 2.5"), however that specfic model of Toshiba is known to be a bit on the "noisy" side. 😁

Ive got a swarm of those same make and model Toshiba/Hitachi HD, and same as you, one in my new Macbook Pro. Its the sound of the heads

Normal , heres a video with great detail of the normal clicking (not the clicking of a dead or dying HD!) of a conventional HD, and the noise with the HD cover removed (which you should NEVER do by the way)

the exact make and model of HD in your macbook Pro (if you bought it within the past 10 months) is a Toshiba MK****SXF 😊

Aug 14, 2013 8:51 PM in response to jill212

Ignore all other sounds except at time frame 3 to 5 seconds in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0edpFdRZyFo

If your macbook is making that noise being woken from sleep mode, its normal and the noise of the laser tray. in the superdrive resetting, disk or no disk. (ignore the fact the video says 2010 macbook, superdrive makes the same sound).

Is that the noise you are hearing?

Ah yes, heres the SMS sensor sound > is that it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xMoTEFH7Q

Thats a protection sound of the HD heads parking themselves to protect the HD from damage. Are you moving the Macbook at all when you hear the sound?

<Edited by Host>

Aug 14, 2013 8:53 PM in response to jill212

I cant duplicate the exact sound of the Toshiba HD (and yes it is unique believe it or not), however every HD will periodically make a jump across the platter and back and make an outstanding CLICK sound, ...this is most likely it. The only other moving part in your Macbook is the fan.

Since its working fine, and a normal macbook makes a few noises, as do all laptops, just use it and enjoy it. 😊

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.