Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp partition shows up as grey "disk0s4" in Disk Utility

Hello everyone,

So I am a few days into this tiring and discouraging process of trying to get my iMac back to it's original working state. Here's to hoping for a solution:

Ever since I bought my iMac, I've been running OSX Mountain Lion with Win7 installed through BootCamp, without any problems. I recently wanted to increase my Boot Camp partition size from 80GB to 149GB because I was running low on disk space, and that was the start of many problems to come.

Here's what I tried first:

• Make a backup copy of my OSX partition through Disk Utility's "Restore" tab (onto external HD 1)
  • Make a backup copy of my Windows partition through "Create a system image" in Windows Control Panel (onto external HD 2)
  • Use WinClone to backup a copy of my Windows partition
    • Erase Boot Camp partition in Disk Utility
    • Resize Mac OS partition to max
    • Create new FAT partition (149 GB)
    • Restore WinClone backup to the FAT partition (hoping it'll "fill up" the remaining free space)

I don't remember all the details, but all of this led to Windows not being able to boot properly, and then soon after, OS X wouldn't work either. The built-in Recovery HD somehow became unusable and showed up as grey in Disk Utility (too chaotic to remember how). After much trial and error, I was left with the Mac's built in Internet Recovery option, which I used to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion (on top of the existing Mac partition). Afterward, I regained the Recovery HD, and resized the Mac OS X partition to cover over the unusable free space that remained.

After that:

• Ran Boot Camp Assistant to start the Windows installation process from scratch.
  • After the installation finished, I used "System Image Recovery" from a bootable Windows Recovery USB that I created.
  • Upon restart, Windows would not boot (which was fixed using the bootrec commands within Command Prompt off the USB).
  • This allowed Windows to boot fine, and it was exactly as it was before this all began.

Now, here are my current problems.

• I believe the simplest way to achieve my original goal of extending my Windows partition would be to use Paragon's Camptune X, but upon running it, it tells me it can't find any Bootcamp configuration on my system.
  • While both OSX and Windows appear on the Startup Manager when I hold down the "option" key (which boot and run just fine), the "BOOTCAMP" partition that I would normally see in Disk Utility (under Macintosh HD) is now listed as "disk0s4", is grey, and "unmounted". It's also listed as MS-DOS (FAT), while it shows up as NTFS within Windows.
  • The Startup Disk preference pane lists Macintosh HD as the only choice.

I'm exhausted from the past week of repeated backup/reinstallations and trying to make this work. I've done my share of research and reading related forum threads, with no real solution. I am hoping "The hatter" will see this, as he's offered much info/advice on this topic on these boards, but I still haven't been able to resolve this issue.

Thanks for reading, anyone have any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 8:33 PM

2 replies

Bootcamp partition shows up as grey "disk0s4" in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.