Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does removing the battery slow down the processor speed by half on a late 2009 Macbook?

Hi, today I went to the apple store because of a bulging battery that was casuing my trackpad to stop clicking. After being told that Apple does not replace bulging batteries (mine was 3.8 years, 272 cycles, 86%) since it's normal behaviors for them to expand, I had the battery taken out for the time being (didn't want to have more expansion damage, however normal that was. The technician reassured me that using the macbook without the battery with just the AC adaptor (60 watts) plugged in should not impact the computer's performance in any way, even though I read that doing so would lead to the prosessor slowing down to half its speed. He checked this info and said it wasn't true for my model, only for the macbook pros that should occur. So, I had the battery taken out and came home.

The macbook, however, is moving very slowly at this point: the keyboard slow to react, the cursor not as sensitive, programs taking longer to open, and webpages taking at least an additional 5-10 seconds to load than usual. I called back to the apple store and spoke with the techinician, who once again double checked with his coworkers, who all confirmed that for my particular macbook any type of slow down is not supposed to occur.

Yet, it's so freaking slow. I am using it. I know.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Does removing the battery cause this particular model macbook to slow down or not?

I am now afraid that even if I do buy a new battery, it will be at this speed from now on and no one able to tell me why.......(can you tell after 18 years of being a hardcore apple fan I've lost so much faith? what is going on with them these days?)

Thanks so much.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 9:59 PM

6 replies

Aug 15, 2013 12:19 AM in response to Julia0204

MacBooks and MacBook Pros automatically reduce the processor speed by about half when the battery is removed. Once a new battery is in it will go back to normal.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,6643.html

You can get a new third party battery fairly cheap on eBay. Every MacBook from 2006 through Mid 2009 except the Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody and the Late 2009 and 2010 White Unibodies use the same A1185 battery.

Black Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+black+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+white+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

White Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+white+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+black+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

Or for $129 from The Apple Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA566LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Aug 15, 2013 1:29 AM in response to frederic1943

Thanks for the quick reply Fredreric, actually it was your replies to others on this forum that first clued me to this possibility. The first link that you provided for the apple support site literature, however, is no longer available, while the second seems to apply to only MBPs, therein lies my confusion.....I couldn't find any literature on the apple support site to know the difference, and the tech was very insistent that it should not make a difference (going so far to say that CPU spped should not impact how quick or slow my webpages are loading...).

Sigh. Yet my computer is so very slow right now. I really don't get apple.

Thanks again.

Aug 15, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Julia0204

The newest MacBooks have non-removable batteries so that Apple Support article was probably pulled as no longer applicable. the second article does have a quote from the Apple Support article.

"If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adapter alone can provide."

The second article only has MBP because that what the guy had.

Aug 16, 2013 2:08 PM in response to Julia0204

An update for the situation:

Yesterday I went to the apple store and referenced them to the one article that's still viable and suggested that they check if that's the reason why my macbook slowed down so much. The genius intially agreed with the possibility but went to the back to check something. After he came back, he was firm that it could not be battery related but instead must be a software issue. From there he reinstalled my OS X, and that didn't work, so he wanted to erase (everything) and reinstall, and that didn't work. At that point I was in the store for almost five hours and asked him plenty of times during if he was sure it was software issue and not battery related, since it just seemed such a freaky coincidence that software should act up at this point, right after the battery removal. He was POSITIVE. So, imagine the look on his face when the erase and reinstall didn't work at the end of those five hours. He then asked me if he could take the machine to the back to run "other tests". I asked him what he was going to do, and he said probably check the hardware also.

When he finally came back, it was confirmed: it was indeed because of the battery removal that the computer slowed down so much. I was there almost 6 hours at this point.

The good news is he was nice enough to give me a free battery, since it was such a fiasco. From the way he talked it seemed that he actually thought it was the battery as well, but the "people in the back" just kept telling him no way, and he had to do what they said first. I thanked him for giving me a free battery. All is well now.

So all that to say: APPLE TROTTLES YOUR CPU IF YOU USE THE MACBOOK WITH BATTERY REMOVED, POWER PC AND INTEL ALIKE, AT LEAST FOR UP TO THE LATE 2009 MODEL.

Does removing the battery slow down the processor speed by half on a late 2009 Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.