Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto- Can see thumbnail, but when clicked a circle with a gray circle and a black exclamation point shows up.

Once I click a picture in Iphoto this pops up.

User uploaded file

I can clearly see the picture when its in a thumbnail. I have really Important pictures of my whole family and I would be so devastated if I lost them. I didn't mess around with Iphoto at all. All I ever did was upload pictures to it and one day this started happening to ALL my pictures on there.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 12:43 AM

2 replies

Aug 15, 2013 4:14 AM in response to marilu_d

Sorry,

your screenshot is not showing.

But an exclamation point usually signifies, that iPhoto cannot access the original image files.

• Where is your iPhoto library located? On your system drive, or do you keep it on an external drive?
  • What version of iPhoto are you running?
  • Have you installed or updated any software lately? Run any cleaning applications, like MacKeeper, CleanYourMac?

The first thing to try would be to rebuild your iPhoto library. assuming you are using iPhoto '11, see this post by Old Toad:

Re: iphoto crashed

Regards

Léonie

Aug 15, 2013 9:49 AM in response to marilu_d

1 - the only possible solution to not losing yoru photos is a good backujp - without one you are 100% buarenteed to lose them sooner or later - bad things happen - maybe one just has

2 - if you have not mucked aroung in the iPhoto library using the finder or some cleanup program then you probably have a database problem and rebuilding will resolve it - however if you have delete files from the iPhoto library using any program other than iPhoto then your photos are gone without a backup

to rebuild backup your iPhoto library, depress and hold teh option and command keys, launch iPhoto and rebuild yrou database

LN

Iphoto- Can see thumbnail, but when clicked a circle with a gray circle and a black exclamation point shows up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.