Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Monitor and Intermittent Freeze

Hello,

Recenlty I hooked up a second monitor to my Mac Mini, ever since it's been sufferring from a system freeze — about twice a day. Checking with Console I've noticed the NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout! error. Searching on here pulls up a lot of post using Retina MBPs.

Once it crashes both screens go blank, I can't SSH into the machine and I don't think the keyboard has any affect.

I think it's fair to say that the introduction of the second display is the problem, I've disconnected the second display and I get no crash. I was wondering if anyone else had exerienced this and has any advice.

Macmini4,1

Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Many thanks

Tristian

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:25 AM

2 replies

Aug 17, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Tristian

Hey Tristian,

I understand you are having issues with your Mac mini becoming unresponsive when using an external display. The following article provides some troubleshooting steps that may be helpful:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1573

As mentioned in the article, some good troubleshooting steps will be to reset the PRAM and SMC, and also starting up in Safe Mode:

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

[…]

1. Start up in Safe Mode.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Dual Monitor and Intermittent Freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.