Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems loading webpages

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you can help with this ongoing problem. My browser (safari 6.0.5) often takes ages to load a webpage and frequently doesn't load the page at all. I have run network diagnostics and it says my Internet connection is working fine. I have a wifi connection which is usually 3 to 4 bars. When the webpage won't load I can sit in front of my computer and access the same webpage on my iPhone using the same wifi connection with no problems so I can't understand why the Mac mini is having so many problems loading webpages.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Many thanks in advance,

Katie

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 8:46 AM

10 replies

Aug 15, 2013 3:50 PM in response to katiep32

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can.

1. Have you restarted your router and broadband modem since you first noticed the problem? If the answer is no, do that now and see whether there's any change.

2. Are any other web browsers installed, and are they also slow?

3. What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

4. If you can test Safari on another network, is it slow there too?

5. If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

Aug 15, 2013 5:03 PM in response to katiep32

Another good test is to try it in a different browser. Try getting google chrome for mac and try there. Also, you could boot into recovery (Hold command+r straight after power-on) and go into "Get Help Online" then test there. This basically tests for hardware/software issues and if it is a setting issue. Let's see how this goes. If all else fails, try ethernet connection.

Let me know how you go 🙂

Aug 15, 2013 5:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

1. Yes I have restarted the router several times and this doesn't seem to have any effect. At tthe time when I've had difficulty connecting, I have checked the wifi internet connection on a laptop and it has been working fine.

2. No other web browsers installed, although I have Parallels desktop with Internet Explorer. I don't use IE very often but I do have the same problem. However, I have additional issues with Parallels following a recent update which has affected the settings so I'm not using it until this can be resolved.

3. The App store and itunes also run very slowly when trying to connect to the internet.

4. I have used an o2 dongle to connect to the internet and safari worked better when connected to that network.

5. I have an ethernet cable but the wifi router is not within reach to enable me to connect with the ethernet cable. I can try and test this tomorrow if it is worth doing.

Thanks very much

Aug 15, 2013 6:01 PM in response to katiep32

Step 1

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

Step 2

Boot into Recovery mode. From the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, reboot as usual and post the results.

Aug 16, 2013 5:09 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

When I booted in safe mode the problem was the same. When i booted in recovery mode, the speed was much improved and weboages loaded fine. There was an issue when I scrolled through a webpage, whereby the screen would flicker and flash in some places but other than that everything was fine.

After rebooting in normal mode again, I tried Safari and it was working really well and then all of a sudden the same problem happened again, although very briefly. It is now working fine again. The issue is that it's very intermittent and sometimes I can go a whole day with no problems and others a whole day of slow connections and my email not downloading etc.

Hope that's ok, let me know if you need me to report anything else.

Thanks

Katie

Aug 16, 2013 6:13 AM in response to katiep32

Hello katie,

This does help alot. Means that it is software issue. It's just that when we resolve the speed issue, we will have to worry about the screen flickers. If ANYTHING abnormal happens in recovery it's basically hardware.

I would make a new location in your network settings with wireless being the priority 1 connection.

how to do this;

Open Network via system preferences

click onto "locations" at the top and then "edit locations";

User uploaded file

then make a new location called "test"

User uploaded file

click "done"

then, at the bottom right corner, you will see a cog. click onto it and hit "set service order"

User uploaded file

Then set wi-fi to be your first option, with the others second (doesnt really matter which order)

User uploaded file

Click "done" then "apply" and that should work out a little more. Let me know what happens.

Problems loading webpages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.