Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet Problem?

Yesterday my ISP, Comcast, had a problem in my neighborhood and I could not access certain websites, Comcast and others, they just would not load, other websites loaded no problem. Also could not download or send mail, using Apple Mail, but the Email notification app worked fine telling me how many emails were on the server. Also have a clone on a separate HD so I fired that up and that exhibited the same issues.

Called Comcast tech support and they said it was a problem with my Ethernet port. That doesn't really make sense to me as it is always the same websites that will load or not load. He suggested I change my network to wireless which I did and now everything works fine. No problem loading sites or downloading email.

If it's my Ethernet port, how an I reset or check it? Did and internet speed test and it says 50mb but still certain websites will not load but will load when on wireless. How can the Ethernet port not load certain sites and load others, and not access the mail server but my Email notification app can access the server to give the correct number of emails. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Any assistance in figuring this out sincerely appreciated. Thanks. Oh and I'm using a late 2009 Mini running OS 10.6.8.

Mini 2.53, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 11:33 AM

7 replies

Aug 15, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I plugged the ethernet cable back in and turned off wifi. Opened Network preference and clicked on Assist me. Chose ethernet and hit return. Message "your internet connection appears to be operating correctly"

Still some websites loading and some not. Makes no difference if I choose a site from my bookmarks or type it into address bar. Some load, some don't. Can now send mail but even a 3 word email takes upwards of 5 minutes to send but cannot download mail to Apple Mail.

Aug 15, 2013 1:09 PM in response to Douglas

Douglas wrote:

I plugged the ethernet cable back in and turned off wifi. Opened Network preference and clicked on Assist me. Chose ethernet and hit return. Message "your internet connection appears to be operating correctly"

Still some websites loading and some not. Makes no difference if I choose a site from my bookmarks or type it into address bar. Some load, some don't. Can now send mail but even a 3 word email takes upwards of 5 minutes to send but cannot download mail to Apple Mail.

Which browser & version are you using?

User uploaded file

Aug 15, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I'm using Safari 5.1.9, latest version and Apple Mail 4.6.

I just reset PRAM 2 times and now the ethernet connection is working again. My mini is a late 2009 model and I have never replaced the battery. I read somewhere that if the battery is about gone that can sometimes affect ethernet, but time and everything else seems to be operating normally.

BTW, sincerely appreciate the quick response.

Aug 15, 2013 11:00 PM in response to Douglas

Finally had to delete all Mail Account setting, shut down, reboot, and put all new account settings in Mail. Has now been working consistantly for the past several hours.

I can't help but think that all of these problems are the result of my ISP 'network issues in my neighborhood', since my problems began literally within minutes of their network issues, but I guess I'll never know.

Ethernet Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.