Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station" (6.3.1) and Airport Express (1st gen)

OSX 10.8.4

I recently moved and during the move updated airport utility to 6.3.1. Now it tells me that it doesn't work with my 1st gen airport express however Apple's own support document says explicity that it should http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1998. Has anyone else run into problems with airport utility 6.3.1 and 1st gen express?

My hope/suspicion is that the airport's firmware needs to be updated before it is compatible? However, if the airport utility doesn't work how can I test this hypothesis?

FYI the airport express is connected to the router via ethernet cable, has a solid green light and is selectable from the WI-FI drop-down menu under the section "New Airport Base Station". The trouble begins when I select it from this menu which prompts Airport utility to open and then tells me it's not supported.

Much appreciation to anyone who can help!

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 12:05 PM

12 replies

Aug 15, 2013 12:07 PM in response to Applehasfailedme

Non-802.11n AirPort Expresses and Extremes are not compatible with AirPort Utility 6, so that's the reason why you receive that message. It doesn't mean that you can't connect to your AirPort anymore, but you won't be able to set it up.

To set up your AirPort, install AirPort Utility 5.6. As the normal installer doesn't work, follow the steps in this site > http://frank.is/mountain-lion-and-the-old-airport-utility/

Aug 15, 2013 12:44 PM in response to mende1

thanks Mende1

I'll give 5.6 a try with your extractor method but was hoping to find a way to use the latest airport utility because Apple explicity lists it as being compatible in their downloads page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1998

AirPort Utility 6.3 for OS XOS X v10.7.5 or laterAirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation), AirPort Extreme 802.11n (1st Generation), AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation), AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Generation), AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Generation), AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (2nd Generation), AirPort Extreme 802.11n (3rd Generation), Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Generation), AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Generation), AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Generation), AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation), AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac, AirPort Extreme 802.11ac

Aug 15, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Applehasfailedme

(1st Generation), AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation), AirPort

Check the Model No on the side of your AirPort Express. A 1st Gen model is A1264.......which works fine with AirPort Utility 6.x versions.

Is this the model number that you see on your AirPort Express?

If you see A1084 or A1088, these are much older 802.11"b/g" versions. Apple started using the "generation" name with 802.11"n" products.

Jan 3, 2014 3:09 AM in response to mende1

mende1, that link you posted that ultimately led to corey mahler was brillant.

it allowed me to use airport utility 5.6.1 while running mavericks to update my way old airport expresse's firmware and connect it to my network for use as a wireless extender. the whole process was a cake walk.

thanks a lot and, obviously, thanks corey.

"This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station" (6.3.1) and Airport Express (1st gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.