Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Zoom R16 work as an interface in Logic Pro X under Mountain Lion?

I've searched and found some indications that the Zoom R16 will work and has problems with earlier versions of Mac OS; so my question is actually will the R16 work under Mountain Lion (GB, Logic Pro, etc) as a control AND a recording interface?

I'll be using it on either a late 2011 MBP core i7 16GB Ram solid state HD (live playing, live recording) or on a late 2012 iMac core i7 32GB Ram solid state HD with Thunderbolt and USB3.0 outboard drives (recording).

Any input would be appreciated... I've been unable to definitely tell if it's an "install the driver, install Logic Pro, and then rock n roll" or it's a "doesn't work correctly, makes noise, crashed my system AND killed my pet rabbit" kind of thing.

Thanks,

Les

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), i7 3.4ghz; 32 Gb ram; 2Gb 680MX

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 2:01 PM

9 replies

Aug 26, 2013 9:58 PM in response to VitaminT805

According to the user here, he is running 2 R16s under ML 10.8.4 without issue

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19069

If you wish to double check, post a question to the Zoom R16 forum found here...

http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=17

Unfortunately Zoom themselves offer what can only be called 'poor' or 'non existant' support for most of their range.. but thats one of the penalties of buying gear from such a company.....

Aug 27, 2013 7:47 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks Art of Sound. I did see that post but it didn't give me a warm feeling about the Zoom.

My bad, I should have posted back after I messed around with this. It turned out that my problem was due to some kind of intermittent connection within the Zoom itself.

I got another one, and it's working fine now as a Mackie Control. It's a little arcane getting it hooked up in Logic (mostly due to inexperience on my part), but so far it seems to be working fine...

If I can spare anyone the frustration/confusion:

Basically:

Download the latest and greatest Zoom R16 driver from their web site and install (I'm using OSX ML and it works fine with Logic Pro X).

Plug in Zoom R16 via USB 2.0 cable, (then on the Zoom itself, select USB, then AUDIO INTERFACE? (Enter), then SETTING? (Enter).

You may need to open Audio/Midi Preferences and set that to the ZOOM R16.

Open Logic and hopefully it sees the Zoom.

Under main Logic Pro X header, select Control Surfaces>Setup

Find and add "Mackie Control" (there are other ones, this one works, can't speak to the rest).

Then (and this is the part that I kept missing) make sure to select the Mackie Control (so it gets a blue box around it) and then make sure the Output Port and Input Port are set to Zoom R16_R24 using the little up/down arrow thingies at the right of each box. I didn't see these/figure out how to select at first... I'm a DA NOOB.

That's it. Open a new multitrack project, assign your inputs to channels, and off you go!

Recording:

All inputs work, level control and faders (which aren't motorized, so it can be a little confusing at first)

Transport and control buttons work, the jog/shuttle is useful.

There are 5 function buttons that by default change the Logic screen setups (can be programmed differently)

Track button seems to mute/unmute only.

The on-board condenser mikes work, if you want them (channels 7 & 8 on the Zoom). Ugh.

Electric guitar direct in seems ok, and a Shure SM57 worked fine. I'll be working with some better mikes hopefully this weekend.

I have it working happily with a late 2011 MBPro, and a late 2012 iMac.

For the money, considering it's a stand-alone 8 track digital recorder (seems to work ok for that purpose so far) as well, it's actually sort of cool. Setup your mixdown in Logic as a wave project, and pull the files off the SD card (Zoom can be configured as a USB card reader easily). Will record at high sample rates allegedly.

I won't be so lazy in future, and I'll report my on-going experience with it.

Dec 5, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Bigdaddy Les

Hi. I have Mavericks and Logic Pro X on my mbp.

I have upgraded my Zoom R16 to the lates firmware (1.4) and uses the lates mac driver (1.4.0).

The sound driver works great.

I've tried all mackie control surface setup in Logic without ant luck.

I can manualy setup the button (rec, play, stop) under Key Commands - Edit.

The faders wont work. After teaching them in Control Surfaces - Controller Assignments. Something happens, but when i teach more than one fader it goes "bananas".

Can somebody help me?

Dec 5, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Lowbudstudio

Have you tried the "step by step" above? It doesn't sound like it, OR Mavericks has changed things around... which is my I'm still running Mountain Lion.

IIRC, you shouldn't have to manually assign/setup stuff, it all works if you do it like I posted above.

If you set it up exactly as I outlined above and it doesn't work then it may be a change that Mavericks has introduced into the process.

Let us know, as this is actually a pretty handy little gadget, especially for remote recording directly into Logic, and those of us who haven't will probably need to update to Mavericks at some point.

UPDATE: My bad again for not checking before I posted, but silly me I thought they'd make sure all this stuff works ROFLMAO: according to the Zoom forum (here's the link: http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19413&sid=2bca023682f3d6ab13ec630dae702 dec ) Mavericks is apparently a "No-No" at this time with the Zoom R16. They're not usually really quick to fix this stuff, either. Time Machine backup to restore (hopefully), anyone?

And so it goes...

Dec 5, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Bigdaddy Les

Les,

Mavericks is apparently a "No-No" at this time with the Zoom R16.

Yes, unfortunately that is the case (yet again as it was with Mountain Lion!) with Mavericks.. and once again it's down to how Zoom originally designed their gear and wrote their drivers it seems.

Lets hope it doesn't take them 7 months to update/fix their drivers like it did for 10.8.........

Will the Zoom R16 work as an interface in Logic Pro X under Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.