Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading the RAM and processor on my 15" 2012 macbook pro?

I've recently bought a 2012 15" macbook pro, but only the baseline version because that's all I could afford then (I needed it for school). The things I have to do for school require me to have photoshop cs6 and for that I need upgraded RAM and processor, etc. I also play the sims 3, and I need better processor + graphics for that.

How should I do it? Should I order online or take my mac into the apple store or take it to the shop I bought it from?

my upgrades will be: 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM and 2.3GHZ to 2.6GHZ with 1GB graphics memory.

thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 1:53 PM

4 replies

Aug 15, 2013 1:57 PM in response to erin1314

You may only upgrade RAM. If you wish a faster processor then sell the model you have and buy a new one with a faster CPU.

Not sure what makes you believe that what you have is not able to run your software. Games require faster GPUs, not CPUs. Neither are upgradeable in a notebook computer.

Most notebook computers are not capable of running games that require a huge amount of processing power.

Aug 15, 2013 1:58 PM in response to erin1314

Erin,

you cannot upgrade the graphics memory or the processor (these changes equal a new computer). You can upgrade the RAM.

I would be very surprised if 300MHz makes the difference. You should upgrade the RAM and see how things go. You can also make sure you have a hard drive with a spindle speed of 7200 RPM to improve performacne.

Best wishes,

Wayne

upgrading the RAM and processor on my 15" 2012 macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.