Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HMDI to DVI won't work with KVM switch

I am using a Mac Mini with Intel HD Graphics 3000 to connect to DVI based KVM(keyboard, video, monitor) switch. The swich allows me to use the same monitor between different computers. I am using the HDMI-to-DVI adapter that came with my Mac mini. However, several KVM switches do not see the Mac mini although I can directly connect it to the monitor with no prob. I am using DVI-D cables and the same resolution settings as my other computers(1280x1024 at 60Hz, 32bit color). I am connecting into a Hall Research DVS-4A KVM switch.

I would like to set up an extended display and have not tried a Thunderbolt-to-DVI adapter yet since the HDMI port is not working with the KVMs I have tried. I believe the Mac Mini is HDMI 1.4 compliant if that helps.

thoughts?

thanks,

Steve

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 1:59 PM

2 replies

Aug 21, 2013 5:28 AM in response to Steve_MacMini

I've been told that the T-bolt port would work better for this since you can use a Mini Display to DVI with it, and it should work because the Mini display to DVI is "active" whereas the HDMI to DVI is "passive", which is probably why the KVM switch won't see it.

Idon't use a KVM because I have half a dozen VMs installed, but that's what I've been told anout HDMI vs Mini Display.

Aug 26, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Steve_MacMini

I'm trying to connect a mid-2012 Mac mini to a Gefen Ex-Tend-It DVI-KVM switch, and I've tried BOTH the mini-Display and hdmi to DVI adapters. In both cases I get image on boot but when it gets to the logon screen I get 5 second alternating snow and image. I've tried it in both ports, and I have an old G5 that connects to the other port just fine. Have also tried several DVI cables, just out of superstition. One source suggested something like Gefen's DVI Detective Plus. Has anyone tried one of these?

HMDI to DVI won't work with KVM switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.