Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my magic mouse does not move the cursor, but it does scroll down and up and responds to gestures... Could it be a broken laser diode?

Yesterday my magis mouse started giving some problems, more specifically, it does not move the cursor at all altough its connected. I removed a wireless phone that was near and the mouse worked again for a while (a few hours.) Now, the cursor does not move at all, altough some other functions of the mouse are still working (scrolling, gestures etc.) Could this be a broken diode? the mouse has neer been dropped. This mouse came bundled to a 21.5 " Imac that is now running Macos 10.6.8.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help or advice!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 7:13 PM

It may seem the phone would have disrupted the connection, causing it to not connect properly anymore.

Do something called an SMC reset, but along the side, take the batteries out of the mouse for 15 seconds then put the batteries in and turn it on again. Do this just before you turn on your iMac after the SMC reset. This should work. if it doesn't, try on a different system. If you don't have a different system, try in Recovery mode (Hold command+r straight after power-on) and try it there. This decides on if it is the software or not.

if you do have another system and it doesn't work, i suggest checking the batteries. That doesn't work? Bring it into the store you got it from.

If it doesn't work in recovery, take the mouse to place of purchase to test on one of their systems.

let me know how you go.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2013 7:13 PM in response to jose from nuevo vallarta

It may seem the phone would have disrupted the connection, causing it to not connect properly anymore.

Do something called an SMC reset, but along the side, take the batteries out of the mouse for 15 seconds then put the batteries in and turn it on again. Do this just before you turn on your iMac after the SMC reset. This should work. if it doesn't, try on a different system. If you don't have a different system, try in Recovery mode (Hold command+r straight after power-on) and try it there. This decides on if it is the software or not.

if you do have another system and it doesn't work, i suggest checking the batteries. That doesn't work? Bring it into the store you got it from.

If it doesn't work in recovery, take the mouse to place of purchase to test on one of their systems.

let me know how you go.

Oct 14, 2016 11:20 PM in response to jose from nuevo vallarta

Herbit in New Zealand

I have late 2015 iMac and a magic mouse 2 which i have been using sucessfully since December 2015 with the mouse running on a cloth ( sort of) on foam mouse pad. I charge the mouse . Recently the cursor will not move properly on this surface. I tried turning the pad over but that didnt help.

I have found it operates on a smooth, shiny cover of a hard cover exercise ( school etc) book.

Any help would be appreciated.

my magic mouse does not move the cursor, but it does scroll down and up and responds to gestures... Could it be a broken laser diode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.