Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access Time Capsule 2013 disk from Windows 7

I have seen several (older) threads that suggest that you can access the Time Capsule disk from Windows 7 using Windows Explorer and navigating to \\Time-Capsule-Name. However, I have tried this repeatedly and just cannot get it to work.

Could this be a bug or unsupported in the latest 2013 Time Capsule?

In Airport Utility, under Disks > File Sharing, I have Enable File Sharing checked. The workgroup is WORKGROUP.

The IP address is 192.168.1.4. I am able to ping it successfully; I just cannot access it through Windows Explorer.

Am I missing something? Please help!

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:25 PM

Use the IP address.. \\TCIPaddress obviously using the actual IP. ie by default the TC is \\10.0.1.1

If you don't get anything..

Open a command prompt and ping the TC address.

Failure to respond to ping means you can never access it.. ping must work.

This is normally a firewall issue. Make sure windows 7 is set to home.. not work or public.

If that is not enough turn off the firewall.

The TC name btw should be SMB compatible.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Not as you have shown.

Is airport utility loaded on the windows machine?

If so is bonjour service actually working.. open the administrative tools and check services to see bonjour is running.

Are you using wireless?? Do everything by ethernet.. Plug the TC directly by ethernet into the computer and do a full factory reset.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2013 4:25 PM in response to Community User

Use the IP address.. \\TCIPaddress obviously using the actual IP. ie by default the TC is \\10.0.1.1

If you don't get anything..

Failure to respond to ping means you can never access it.. ping must work.

This is normally a firewall issue. Make sure windows 7 is set to home.. not work or public.

The TC name btw should be SMB compatible.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Not as you have shown.

If so is bonjour service actually working.. open the administrative tools and check services to see bonjour is running.

Are you using wireless?? Do everything by ethernet.. Plug the TC directly by ethernet into the computer and do a full factory reset.

Aug 15, 2013 6:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

Well, I appreciate your help. But unfortunately, it didn't work. See responses below:

Tried the IP in Windows Explorer. Didn't work

I AM able to ping the IP address

Windows is set to Home, and the firewall is off

I renamed the Time Capsule to aaa. Short and sweet. But still didn't work.

Yes

I checked Services. Bonjour is running.

This machine is plugged directly into the Time Capsule.

Any other suggestions? Other than buy a Mac, which I WILL do eventually because I can't friggin stand Microsoft! 🙂

Aug 15, 2013 6:28 PM in response to Community User

Are you running homegroup on the PC..??

That should definitely be turned off!!

Homegroup can mess things up.

I would try with ipv6 off but that might make no difference at all.. leave it set to local-link if it doesn't do anything.

There was issues when the Gen4 came out with security. Windows uses too high an encryption level..

See info here.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/changing-file-encryption-settings-on-a-win dows-7-h.pageCd-storyboard,pageNum-5.html

Change to 40 or 56 bit encyrption.

Unfortunately some of the controls you think you are setting on the TC are not really being set at all.. eg I doubt you are actually changing the workgroup.. if possible though you should have disk access set to lowest level .. device password and you should also turn on guest account to read and write.. that usually solved access for me in earlier TC .. I haven't bought an AC for the moment.. because.. well I believe I have done my time on the war front. I bled out already on the bleeding edge.. time for you to do it and I can reap the benefits on the second hardware revision and about the 10th firmware update.

Other things I would try if the above don't work.

Factory reset and start over.. you moved the IP of the TC and that is unwise.

Do not worry about the various settings.. do the factory reset.. in full isolation from the internet. ie TC plugged into the windows computer. Nothing else in either..

Now try at the default IP of the TC..

\\10.0.1.1

Beyond that you need another computer to try or some device. iOS would be fine... in normal situation you would test other protocols, eg ftp but TC offers only SMB and AFP.. there are no AFP clients for windows that I have heard of.. you might have success if you boot the PC from a linux live cd.. it should be able to read AFP even if it cannot write to it. But the SMB is more important. If linux can access with SMB protocol and windows cannot.. the issue is windws OS.

Or iOS devices have some AFP file browsers available but again just test with SMB.. most file browsers for iOS use SMB.. if other devices can manage SMB protocol to open files on the TC then the finger points very clearly to the PC as the trouble.. on the other hand if nothing can access SMB then the TC is faulty and should be replaced.

Aug 19, 2013 1:56 PM in response to LaPastenague

Well, I'm officially stupid. I was *sure* that my PC was plugged directly into the Time Capsule. But as it turns out, I had it plugged into the Verizon router. So, I was never on the same network, which is why I couldn't find the Time Capsule disk from my computer. It's running beautifully now that I'm plugged in to the Time Capsule. Thank you for your help, though!

How to access Time Capsule 2013 disk from Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.