Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

m4r is in "Tones" but NOT in sounds->ringtones

I'm really regretting this whole iPhone purchase thing.

So after hours of reserarch, I finally got an mp3 converted to an m4r. I clicked it and played it with iTunes. I dropped the file into "Automatically Add to iTunes." It made a "Tone" tabe the the file is there. I've syched and re-synched and rerereresynched.

It's not showing up under settings->sounds->ringtones.

Whyohgodwhyhaveyouforsakenme.

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:48 PM

1 reply

Aug 17, 2013 2:18 PM in response to bjj8383

Hello bjj8383,

Once you have the Tones section appear on the left in the sidebar, you also need to tell iTunes to sync the tone over to the device, much the same as you would tell it to sync music or movies. In the article named iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer found here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296 you can see another tab when the device is selected called Ringtones, it may also be called Tones in the newer version of iTunes

USB syncing

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Connect the iOS device to your computer using the included USB cable and click the device button in the upper right corner. (If you are viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper right corner. The device button will then be visible.) Some tabs may not appear if you do not have corresponding content in your library. For example if you do not have any podcasts in your library, the corresponding Podcast tab will not appear.
    User uploaded file
  3. You can configure the different content types in each tab. For example, Movies under the Movies tab.
  4. To sync, click Apply, in the lower-right corner of the screen

All the best,

Sterling

m4r is in "Tones" but NOT in sounds->ringtones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.