Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple people in same room for podcast

I was trying to possibly hook up 4 Blue Snowball USB microphones but was struggling to figure out how. Someone in another forum recommended against using 4 separate mics for 4 people in the same room doing a podcast. They said it'd be better doing two mics. and having 2 people on each mic. Would you agree with this?

Can I put 2 Snowball USB microphones into my macbook pro and having 2 tracks for GarageBand?

Would you recommend a diferent setup? Trying to get a good quality for economical pricing for 4 people int he same room doing a podcast.

GarageBand (Mac) '11

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:40 PM

8 replies

Aug 15, 2013 4:44 PM in response to kevinduffey

kevinduffey wrote:

They said it'd be better doing two mics. and having 2 people on each mic. Would you agree with this?

nope.

if 4 mics are within your budget, use them

kevinduffey wrote:

Can I put 2 Snowball USB microphones into my macbook pro and having 2 tracks for GarageBand?

you can, the same way you can connect 4 USB mics (and use 4 tracks); create an aggregate device:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Tutorials.html#allaboutaggregatedevices

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

Aug 15, 2013 4:53 PM in response to HangTime

I just talked to Blue support and they said the Mac doesn't recognize two of the exact same USB devices because the digital footprint is identical. You'd have to get different microphones.

Some folks have told me balancing 4 mics is difficult and would suggest getting 2 instead. Does that make sense? Would it be better to have 4 even if we're sitting in a close proximity in a round table format?

Aug 15, 2013 5:01 PM in response to kevinduffey

kevinduffey wrote:

I just talked to Blue support and they said the Mac doesn't recognize two of the exact same USB devices because the digital footprint is identical. You'd have to get different microphones.

i _think_ they are mistaken, but i don't have multiples of the exact same device to test that to be sure, hopefully someone else will pass by to offer a first hand account. i'm fairly sure that we've directed others in this forum to create aggregate devies with the same type of USB mic and it's worked for them...

kevinduffey wrote:

Some folks have told me balancing 4 mics is difficult and would suggest getting 2 instead. Does that make sense?

not in the least, and in fact is the exact opposite.

with two people on a mic you have no control over each voice, only both, so if one is a quiet talker, or one is a loud talker, you're going to have to _work_ at getting an even sound in post.

the whole point of a mixing console is complete control over each input, and GB's tracks are the same as channels on a mixing console; you eq each voice, set the volume for each voice, etc.

additionally, if one person makes noice while the other is speaking on the same mic, you're stuck (or forced to re-take it), if they're on their own mic, you can cut, or zero the volume during this noise segment.

Aug 15, 2013 5:19 PM in response to kevinduffey

I don't like to suggest products usually because there are so many good ones and no one product is going to be the best for everyone. But take a look at the Alesis i/o 4 it cheap at $149 us. And look at mics at one of the big retailers like musicians friend you can find some cheap mics probably get 4 useable mics for around $100.

Of course if you were willing to buy 4 snowballs you can find better quality gear then the above.

Multiple people in same room for podcast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.