Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not connect

I have three Apple iPod Touches in this house. Not a single one will connect to iTunes anymore. They used to, then one day I wanted to add more music to my daughter’s iPod and when I connected it to the computer, the computer recognizes it has an iPod touch, but iTunes gives me the "iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "Brooke's iPod" because an invalid response was received from the device." All three iPods get this message. I have wiped my computer completely of Apple anything, iTunes, QuickTime, ETC. Reinstalled iTunes, reset the iPods, and I'm still receiving this message. I checked my computer to find out which USB ports are "high speed" and I am plugged into the one that is ... If it was a USB port issue, why is my computer and iTunes recognizing that it's an iPod being connected? That doesn't make sense.. It shows up in my "Devices and Printers"..😕 So wouldn't it be something else? Why would it work one day just fine and stop recognizing my devices another day?😕 😠 This doesn't make sense.. I haven't been able to connect my iPods now for over 6 months. I can only update apps or add apps from directly on my iPods. I would like to update my music...😐

Does someone have an answer that actually works??

iPod touch (2nd generation), Windows 7

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 5:20 PM

4 replies

Aug 15, 2013 8:10 PM in response to blotterson87

If you have Windows installed and you are getting this error message, go to the following locations and delete everything related to Apple, of course make sure that you have itunes closed while deleting these files:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local - Delete anything Apple/iTunes related

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow - Delete anything Apple/iTunes related

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming - Delete anything Apple/iTunes related

"Googled and found out" 🙂

Aug 16, 2013 6:02 AM in response to blotterson87

Error 13, 14, 35 and 50 (or -50)

These errors are typically resolved by performing one or more of the steps listed below:

1. Perform USB isolation troubleshooting, including trying a different USB port directly on the computer. See the advanced steps below for USB troubleshooting.
  2. Put a USB 2.0 hub between the device and the computer.
  3. Try a different USB 30-pin dock-connector cable.
  4. Eliminate third-party security software conflicts.
  5. There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting one or more TcpWindowSize entries into your registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet-size modification for assistance. Or, follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)to reset the packet size back to the default for Windows.
  6. Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, bypassing any routers, hubs, or switches. You may need to restart your computer and modem to get online.
  7. Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.

iTunes cannot connect to the iPhone because an invalid response received from the device

This error occurs when there are problems communicating through USB. This may be resolved by following the steps for errors 13 or 14 above.

Sep 13, 2013 7:14 PM in response to lllaass

ok, so I read what you sent me to try, I tried everything. The only thing I found that semi worked, was resetting internet protocol, I reset the computer, iTunes recognizes my device and when I try to do anything with my device through iTunes, and iTunes freezes. I have to press ctrl+alt+delete to close iTunes, reopen iTunes, and it gives me the same error, "iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "Brooke's iPod" because an invalid response was received from the device."

So what would cause this now? It recognizes my ipods AFTER i reset internet protocol, restart my computer, itunes pops up with my device shown, then freezes. force close itunes, reopen itunes and i get the same message... "iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "Brooke's iPod" because an invalid response was received from the device."

Sep 13, 2013 7:12 PM in response to gire.prasad

Did that already, iTunes still doesn't recognize my device. The only thing that made iTunes recognize my device was reseting the internet protocol. After restarting my computer, iTunes opens up with my device shown, then freezes. I ctrl+alt+delete to force close iTunes, reopen iTunes and I get the error message again.. "iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "Brooke's iPod" because an invalid response was received from the device."

Really irritating!

iTunes could not connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.