Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine not restoring

I just got a new iMac to replace my older 2011 model and the old one used time machine to back up automatically to an external hard drive so I expected I could just set up the new one no problem. When I use migration assistant, I go through the steps to transfer from a time machine backup from a hard disk but when I get to the "select your system" screen where it would normally present me with options to choose from, the loading circle just spins forever with the message "looking for other computers" nothing comes up, it just keeps spinning. I've also tried directly connecting the two macs together and running the import from another mac option but the same thing happened. The drive will mount on the desktop and I can open it in finder and see the backup files in it, but it just won't come up in migration assistant. Any suggestions? Both computers are running 10.8.4

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 10:53 PM

Most likely, some folders were inadvertently excluded from your backups, and as a result you can't restore your data from Time Machine in Recovery, Setup Assistant, or Migration Assistant.

If you still have the old computer, you can transfer data directly from it as described here:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2013 10:53 PM in response to superiormac

Most likely, some folders were inadvertently excluded from your backups, and as a result you can't restore your data from Time Machine in Recovery, Setup Assistant, or Migration Assistant.

If you still have the old computer, you can transfer data directly from it as described here:

Aug 16, 2013 4:21 AM in response to superiormac

superiormac wrote:

. . .

The drive will mount on the desktop and I can open it in finder and see the backup files in it, but it just won't come up in migration assistant.

See if the top-level Applications, Library, and System folders appear in the most recent backup. If not, Linc is correct -- you were bitten by a fairly rare, but known, bug. See #D10 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for details.

If they do exist, there's a chance the backups are damaged and can be repaired. See #A5 in the same link. If that doesn't help, you may be able to recover your home folder (with a bit of finagling), but not your apps or things like Internet plug-ins and widgets installed for everyone, system-wide settings and preferences, etc. Post back if that's the case and we'll work out a plan.

Aug 16, 2013 5:37 AM in response to Pondini

I see, I just checked the latest backup folder in the backups.backupdb and all I can see is my user folder, no applications, library, system, etc. I am going to look at those articles and see what I can do, thanks.

If I can't do anything with the drive, I will try to connect the Macs together and migrate that way but it didn't work last time, maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Aug 16, 2013 5:48 AM in response to superiormac

superiormac wrote:

. . .

If I can't do anything with the drive,

You won't. 😟 For those who find the bug, all that can be done is to is fix it so future backups are complete.

I will try to connect the Macs together and migrate that way but it didn't work last time, maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Good that you still have access to it. 🙂

Setup Assistant (preferred) or Migration Assistant should work with it. See Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion for the gory details.

EDIT: Don't hesitate to post back with problems or questions.

And, if the old Mac is covered by the extended AppleCare 3-year warranty and support, please consider the green box in #D10. Since you still have the old Mac, the evidence is still there, and we need to get it to Apple so they can find and fix the problem.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Aug 16, 2013 7:24 AM in response to superiormac

After transferring the data, do as follows.

This simple procedure will clear your Time Machine settings, including exclusions. The backups won't be affected. If you have a long exclusion list that can't be recreated easily, you may prefer a more complicated procedure that preserves the exclusion list. In that case, ask for instructions. Otherwise, do as follows.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services â–¹ Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window should open with a file selected. Copy the file to the Desktop. Then move it (the original, not the copy) to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your administrator password. Reboot and recreate your settings in the Time Machine preference pane. It will show that you have no backups. Don't worry; that's expected. Run a backup to test. The backup may take much longer than usual. If TM now performs as expected, delete the file you copied to the Desktop.

Aug 16, 2013 12:41 PM in response to superiormac

superiormac wrote:

Thanks for that info. I was able to get them connected and now migration assistant is transferring between the two Macs, so at least that is working.

Ah, great! 🙂

And yes I still have AppleCare on both Macs (as well as an open help ticket) and I am going to call them with this info and at least let them know about the problem.

Also terrific.

Once the transfer is done and you're sure everything's good, before you contact Apple, I'd like to "prime" you with some ammunition -- directions to run a diagnostic tool on the old Mac, so you can send Apple the result; and some things you might say to convince them it's a real problem that some others have, and where to look for the evidence. I can post it here, but it might be easier if you e-mail me at the address on my Contact page.

Keep us posted!

Time machine not restoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.