Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To what degree is OS X server compatible with Windows users on the network?

Few facts before we jump into the problem:

• the company uses an accounting software (Pastel 11) that only works on Windows
  • employees currently work on Windows platforms
  • current server is old and ready to crash anytime
  • owner is an Apple fan
  • I'm responsible for this project to improve the info. system... and I am no expert!

The question is:

Case #1:

Keep all computers as is and only replace the old server with a Mac and OS X Server.

In this case, would features such as Calendar server, Contact server, message server, and etc still work for employees using PC? My guess is that it won't as these are Apple applications... so what features are available to the PCs? Backup function? File sharing?

Case #2:

Switch to OS platforms and install Parallels just for the accounting software.

I suppose all computers would work perfectly well with the OS X Server, but it seems a bit redundant to have a Windows platform within every computer just for the accounting software. If the owner insists to go with this idea, how would file sharing feature work for documents associated with the accounting software (i.e. created/modified on the Windows side)?

Do you have any other suggestions as to how we can make it work? Or, should we just move to Cloud server to save all the hassle...?

OS X Server-OTHER

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 6:45 PM

There are no replies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.