Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari & Chrome will load web pages only in Safe Mode; Normal mode receiving error "Cannot connect to Server"

MacBook Pro

OS X Lion 10.7.5

Safari version - 6.0.5

Started several days ago, Safari and Chrome will not load any web pages giving an error message "Cannot find Server". When I shut down and boot Mac in Safe Mode, Safari will then load the we pages.

Can anyone help on the possible cause and resolution?

Note: Apologies for the community selection, it doesn't have many options other than iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone.

Many thanks, in advance.

DoshiNJ

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Safari version 6.0.5

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 10:21 AM

Did some further investigation on the communities website, another discussion/question provided possible cause cause, followed discussion and resolved my own issue. Link below to reference discussion is provided below:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4411078

Note: credit to BDAqua and SharkDog, many thanks.

I had Peerguaurdian installed, I removed an entry related to Peerguardian from LaunchDaemons and/or Startup Items and/or PreferencePanes under Library, instructions below:

- Finder > Devices > (Username) > Hard Drive > Library folder

- Go to each of the folders "LaunchDaemons", "StartupItems", and "PreferencePanes", expand each folder using arrow to the left of folders

- look for unusual application titles (in my case it was *peerguardian*)

- dual finger click on line item, menu will appear.

- select "Move to Trash"

- reboot Mac

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2013 10:21 AM in response to DoshiNJ

Did some further investigation on the communities website, another discussion/question provided possible cause cause, followed discussion and resolved my own issue. Link below to reference discussion is provided below:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4411078

Note: credit to BDAqua and SharkDog, many thanks.

I had Peerguaurdian installed, I removed an entry related to Peerguardian from LaunchDaemons and/or Startup Items and/or PreferencePanes under Library, instructions below:

- Finder > Devices > (Username) > Hard Drive > Library folder

- Go to each of the folders "LaunchDaemons", "StartupItems", and "PreferencePanes", expand each folder using arrow to the left of folders

- look for unusual application titles (in my case it was *peerguardian*)

- dual finger click on line item, menu will appear.

- select "Move to Trash"

- reboot Mac

Hope this helps.

Safari & Chrome will load web pages only in Safe Mode; Normal mode receiving error "Cannot connect to Server"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.