Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external hard disk won't transfer files from Time Machine (using Migration Assistant)

I have a Macbook (not Pro but the old Aluminium model they used to have 5 years ago) which has lasted a very long time however I decided to upgrade to a MacBook Air. I had backed up my old Macbook using Time Machine onto an external hard drive. Once the backup was completed, I connected the external hard drive to my new MacBook air, I opened up Migration Assistant and followed all the steps accordingly:

• Chose the "transfer from mac, pc..." etc. option.
  • Entered my login
  • Closed all applications open
  • Chose to transfer using Time machine option
  • Selected what I wanted to migrate (the 'other documents etc.' option
  • Clicked continue to allow Migration Assistant to transfer files

However at this point, the transfer didn't continue as a pop up named "incompatible software" appeared telling me some of my files weren't transfered because they weren't compatible with my computer. I then had to "quit" Migration Assistant. How to do I continue on from this stage and back up?

Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 3:46 AM

7 replies

Aug 16, 2013 3:51 AM in response to sonalmathur

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Your files have been transferred and they are on your MacBook Air, but you have to log in another user. Migration Assistant just told you that some of the apps you had are for PowerPC, and these apps aren't compatible with OS X Mountain Lion.

Go to  > Log Out, and log in the new user that Migration Assistant created, so you will access to your migrated files. See > https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5472

Aug 16, 2013 4:38 AM in response to mende1

I followed your instructions and found the normal user account as well as a Shared folder.

But when I opened the Shared folder, I only found files that cannot really be used:

User uploaded file

I opened each of these files and they had folders such as "Application Support."

Maybe I'm just horrible at this stuff and the solution is staring me in the face! 😁

Aug 16, 2013 6:34 AM in response to sonalmathur

This is what it keeps saying when I use Migration Assistant:

Incompatible software

Some of the software on your old computer is incompatible with this version of OS X. Because this software may cause problems with your computer, it was not transferred to your new computer:

Parallels: this version of Parallels is not compatible with this version of OS X.

For more information about incompatible software, see this Apple Support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258.

Is there an easy solution to this?

My external hard disk won't transfer files from Time Machine (using Migration Assistant)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.