Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need iCloud or a Home Network??

I have limited knowledge computers so please bear with my if my questions are somewhat stupid.

I have a desktop PC and a MacBook laptop computer and use both for my work. I would like to keep all my work docs sycronised on both computers. At the moment I often find myself working on one of the computers but the document I need is on the other. It's very frustrating.

What is the solution? Do i store all my docs on iCloud? Or can I store them on a home network (whatever that is!)?

Many thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 4:39 AM

12 replies

Aug 16, 2013 4:48 AM in response to LibertyEnglish

iCloud will only sync iWork and TextEdit documents, so if you are using other programs it's not suitable anyway.

If you set up a home network, you can access the contents of one computer from the other computer quite easily. If each is connected to the internet using a router (such as Airport or a wireless Hub from your ISP) you already have a network, so you just need to set up File Sharing. The method described here was written for Snow Leopard but I assume it is much the same on Lion.

File Sharing in Mac OSX

Aug 16, 2013 6:29 AM in response to LibertyEnglish

Use SugarSync for this task, slower than Rogers suggestion but it works in the background, once you set it up no more is needed from you. It's free (up to 5GB can be store/syncronized, and it works (I keep 5 machines, Mac PC and IOS) synchronized at all times. The machines do not have to be connected to each other, just to the internet.

Aug 16, 2013 8:36 AM in response to Csound1

It might just be worth clarifying the difference between File Sharing and SugarSync.

With File Sharing, suppose you have all your documents in the Documents folder in computer 'A'; you can then access this folder in computer 'B' where it appears like an external hard disk. You can drag documents over to B's Desktop top work on them then copy them back, or indeed you can just open them directly (though this might be just a little slower for editing).

Sugarsync works differently: you would nominate the Documents folder (for example) on both computers. Then if you make a change to a document on computer 'A' the modified document is automatically uploaded via the internet to Sugarsync's server, and from there down to the same folder on computer 'B'. You can modify it there, and the same process will bring the copy on 'A' into line.

All this happens seamlessly in the background but there are two important points to grasp. One is that the process takes time - it's rather assumed that you will keep both Macs on at all times. If you have the laptop shut down, when you boot it up the changed documents will be downloaded. If you try to edit a document before the changed version has had time to download you will erase one or other set of changes, so you need to be aware of the delay. The other point is that the folders are fully synced. This means that if you delete a document on computer A it will shortly be deleted on computer B as well - this sounds obvious but it's the sort of thing that catches people out, thinking that if they delete a document by accident there will still be a copy on the other computer.

One big advantage of Sugarsync is that the laptop doesn't have to be at home: you can stay in sync anywhere there is an internet connection. The SugarSync application needs to be running at all times.

The advantage of File Sharing is that you are not dependent on the internet, and that access is quick; obviously it only works as long as the laptop is at home.

The advantages of iCloud... in this context, none.

Aug 16, 2013 8:53 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Yup, I have used SugarSync since it was in beta (many years now) so I'm clear on all that. 🙂

One error though, if you edit a file on machine B that has also been edited on Machine A (while B was off) you end up with both versions of the file (with their original location appended) so you do not lose anything, just choose which one is correct and delete the other.

Hope it helps the OP.

Aug 16, 2013 9:10 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Yup, I have used SugarSync since it was in beta (many years now) so I'm clear on all that. 🙂

Yes, I assumed you knew all about it but since the OP admits to being inexperienced* I thought a detailed explanation might help. Thanks for the clarification on sync conflicts - I use SygarSync but only for online backup, not for actual syncing.

*The admission of ignorance is the beginning of wisdom

Aug 16, 2013 9:17 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger Wilmut1 wrote:

Csound1 wrote:

Yes, I assumed you knew all about it but since the OP admits to being inexperienced I thought a detailed explanation might help. Thanks for the clarification on sync conflicts - I use SygarSync but only for online backup, not for actual syncing.

I use it for both syncing and data backup. It also has a useful archive (Web Archive Folder) that is not connected to the sync system, files transferred to that location remain unchanged (even if you change the local copy).

I use it across a large range of machines and so far it has been flawless.

Most useful (and a surprise) is the integration with IOS devices, files are not transferred to my iPad but are presented to it for streaming, it also adds a file manager to the device. So my iPad has full access to all files in my Documents/Music/Pictures etc folders without filling up the device storage. Opening one of them streams it to the iPad, after editing the updated version is streamed back to the SS server and thus to all other devices logged into the account.

As it supports every platform in existence I have found it extremely useful. (I use Macs, a PC, IOS devices and 1 Android device)

Aug 16, 2013 9:42 AM in response to LibertyEnglish

Thanks for your inputs.

I followed Roger´s instructions for File Sharing on my MacBook and it seemed to go well until I went to my PC and tried to set it up from that end. It says I have a Home Network set up, but the two computers don't seem to find each other.....or I can't see the 'shared' files. I hope you understand me, I know my terminology isn't quite right.

SugarSync sounds good, buuuuut the 5GB would be a problem for me. I need to syncronise about 20Gb - 30GB.

Aug 16, 2013 9:47 AM in response to LibertyEnglish

LibertyEnglish wrote:

Thanks for your inputs.

I followed Roger´s instructions for File Sharing on my MacBook and it seemed to go well until I went to my PC and tried to set it up from that end. It says I have a Home Network set up, but the two computers don't seem to find each other.....or I can't see the 'shared' files. I hope you understand me, I know my terminology isn't quite right.

SugarSync sounds good, buuuuut the 5GB would be a problem for me. I need to syncronise about 20Gb - 30GB.

5GB is the maximum (for free) you can buy more (I have 500GB, which was expensive) 60GB costs $75 per year (but deals are very common, you should find it for about $40 per year). There is a free trial (30 days) for extra storage packages available at the site. SugarSync.com, try for yourself.

Do I need iCloud or a Home Network??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.