Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2Wire 3801HGV (In Bridge Mode) + Airport Extreme. Want to use Custom DNS.

I have AT&T U-Verse with a 2Wire 3801HGV Residential Gateway and an Airport Extreme.

Currently, the Airport Extreme is setup in Bridge Mode and all of my devices connect wirelessly to the Airport Extreme. Everything is working fine.

I'd like to apply a custom DNS to the Airport Extreme that will be passed to all the devices connected to it. I recently learned that you can't do this when the Airport Extreme is in Bridge Mode (I also read that you can't enable Guest Wifi).

I'd like to change the Airport Extreme out of Bridge mode and let it handle DHCP and DNS.

I read the discussion here, and it seemed to make sense, but I don't have the same modem as this guy.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 8:56 AM

I'd like to apply a custom DNS to the Airport Extreme that will be passed to all the devices connected to it.

As you know in order for the Extreme to pass out custom DNS settings it would have to have DHCP enabled.

I recently learned that you can't do this when the Airport Extreme is in Bridge Mode (I also read that you can't enable Guest Wifi).

Those are both correct.

I'd like to change the Airport Extreme out of Bridge mode and let it handle DHCP and DNS.

Any thoughts?

I have two for you:

1. Leave the Extreme in bridge mode. Using the web-based administrator interface on the 2Wire router, add the custom DNS servers so that the 2Wire can provide them to network clients connected to either router.
  2. Reconfigure the 2Wire as a bridge. Then reconfigure the Extreme to provide both NAT & DHCP services.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Jason Chisler

I'd like to apply a custom DNS to the Airport Extreme that will be passed to all the devices connected to it.

As you know in order for the Extreme to pass out custom DNS settings it would have to have DHCP enabled.

I recently learned that you can't do this when the Airport Extreme is in Bridge Mode (I also read that you can't enable Guest Wifi).

Those are both correct.

Any thoughts?

I have two for you:

1. Leave the Extreme in bridge mode. Using the web-based administrator interface on the 2Wire router, add the custom DNS servers so that the 2Wire can provide them to network clients connected to either router.
  2. Reconfigure the 2Wire as a bridge. Then reconfigure the Extreme to provide both NAT & DHCP services.

Aug 16, 2013 9:02 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the response.

I don't think you can apply custom DNS to the 2Wire router. I have heard it's locked down by AT&T and I haven't come across anything in the configuration UI that would allow me to input my custom DNS.

After posting here, I came across this post. It sounds like I can reset the 2Wire to factory settings, follow his instructions for the 2Wire Router, and then set the Airport Extreme to do DHCP and NAT (or is it DHCP only?)

I have a better understanding of what needs to be done. I will try to follow the instructions in the link above and I'll report back here with how successful I am.

Aug 16, 2013 9:21 AM in response to Jason Chisler

I don't think you can apply custom DNS to the 2Wire router. I have heard it's locked down by AT&T and I haven't come across anything in the configuration UI that would allow me to input my custom DNS.

This may also not allow you to follow the instruction you found to place it into bridge mode too. Hopefully that is not the case.

... and then set the Airport Extreme to do DHCP and NAT (or is it DHCP only?)

With the 2Wire in bridge mode, you will want the Extreme to provide BOTH NAT & DHCP. That would be its default router mode.

Aug 16, 2013 9:23 AM in response to Jason Chisler

Before you dive in, a note of caution that ATT says that there are differences between the 3800 and 3801.

The instructions are for a 3800....and you have a 3801. You might note the user comments at the bottom of the article where the user.....who has a 3801....says that he still gets a Double NAT error.

I think you should expect the same results if you try to configure the AirPort to use DHCP and NAT.

If you were wondering, you cannot configure the AirPort for DHCP only......unless your service provider is giving you a bank of fixed IP addresses. That is very rare these days.

Good luck.

Aug 16, 2013 9:55 AM in response to Jason Chisler

The clear answer with the 3801 is that you are going to have a Double NAT issue with the AirPort router if you try to run the AirPort in Router Mode with DHCP and NAT enabled....whether you use DMZ or not on the 3801.

Using the DMZ is more work, and you do have some sense of accomplishment doing it this way.....but the end result is the same as if you simply connect the AirPort to the 3801 "as is" and then configure the AirPort to enable DHCP and NAT.

I'm not recommending Double NAT....just pointing out that it is an option. Not a good one, but an option.

Aug 16, 2013 10:10 AM in response to Jason Chisler

NAT is what allows you to share a single Public IP address with one or more Private network clients. A "Double NAT" condition is not necessarily a bad thing, but it should be avoided where possible. Basically, being in this condition breaks your network into subnets. The potential problem with that is if you need clients connected to the 2Wire to be able to "see" those connected to the AirPort ... and vice versa. However, all clients regardless of which router they are connected to would still gain Internet access.

Aug 16, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Jason Chisler

So running this in Double NAT is a viable option?

I said that it is an option. Not a good one, but an option.

If you run Double NAT, you will have problems. Among the possibilities are:

Slower browsing (NAT is a firewall, so now you have two firewalls that the signal must negotiate)

You may notice that some Internet sites will load very slowly....or not at all

The AirPort will revert to the correct Bridge Mode setting after a power outage or any firmware updates, so you must manually change the settings back when this occurs

Online gaming consoles will not tolerate Double NAT

I'm sure there are others issues as well

The bottom line.....you won't know how this might work until you try it on your network with your equipment. On a simple home network, you might be able to get away with Double NAT.

Aug 16, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok Great News. I logged into my 2Wire and navigated to the Firewall config page. I assigned my Airport Extreme to be in the DMZPlus mode. I saved the changes. Then I used the Airport Utility to set the Airport Extreme into DHCP and NAT mode. Again, I saved the changes.

Once the 2Wire and the Airport Extreme restarted, I got no Double NAT errors. I am able to use the Custom DNS that is saved into the Airport Extreme and everything seems to be working great. I'm going to call it resolved and hope that others can find this article for future reference.

2Wire 3801HGV (In Bridge Mode) + Airport Extreme. Want to use Custom DNS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.