Skip navigation

How do I restore files backed up to time machine to a replacement storage drive? (NOT System disk)

204 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 12:54 PM by baltwo RSS
EagleSongs Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 16, 2013 11:21 AM

I've seen plenty of articles about restoring the system disk (restoring the whole system) with Time Machine, but nothing about restoring a secondary disk that has crashed.

I've been doing backups of both the primary system disk and a secondary storage disk for 2 years. Yesterday, the secondary storage disk crashed. I have a replacement disk, now I need to restore the backup from Time Machine onto this new disk.

Can I just copy the files from the Time Machine disk to the new one, or do I need to do something more complicated? The instructions for restoring files from Time Machine all include selecting the drive/folder you want to restore, then entering Time Machine. But I can't do that if the original disk no longer exists.

I'm getting the replacement drive today, so I thought I would ask before I installed the drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

-ME

Mac Pro 5,1

OS X 10.6.8

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.