Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes could not connect to the iphone because an invalid response was received from the device

itunes could not connect to the iphone because an invalid response was received from the device

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 1:03 PM

6 replies

Dec 25, 2013 8:11 AM in response to griff w

i've seen many responses similar to this - either that an invalid response was received, device could not be identified, etc. while it's nice to suggest that it's someone else's problem, it would be even better to suggest a solution that doesn't include reinstalling windows or buying new USB cables.

if you happen to be using kaspersky or any other firewall/AV product that scans secure connections, find out how to disable that particular feature. e.g., if you have kaspersky installed, go to the Settings > Additional > Network page. If "Scan encrypted connections" is checked, uncheck it. You can re-enable it after you've done whatever you need to do in iTunes.

you may have to disconnect/reconnect the ipad/phone/whatever

Apr 11, 2015 1:06 AM in response to bargoze

"if you happen to be using kaspersky or any other firewall/AV product that scans secure connections, find out how to disable that particular feature. e.g., if you have kaspersky installed, go to the Settings > Additional > Network page. If "Scan encrypted connections" is checked, uncheck it. You can re-enable it after you've done whatever you need to do in iTunes."

This solved my problem. I didn't think buy a new expensive cable, nor reinstalling windows, nor itunes uninstall\reinstall, nor replacing my USB ports were very helpful suggestions

Thank you

Nov 17, 2016 12:48 PM in response to senthilkeerthi

I had this happen too, and what worked for me was updating iTunes to the very latest version and then, when I plugged in my iPhone 5s it opened right up in iTunes, bing, bang, boom.

In other words, what I think was happening was that I had an older version of iTunes on my older Mac and when the phone, which has the latest iOS on it, tried to connect, that older version of iTunes got what it considered to be an "invalid response" from the newer phone so it sent that "iTunes could not connect to "iphone" because an invalid response was received from the device" error message.

Then, when I updated iTunes to the latest version (which required first installing the latest Mac OS update), they connected up just fine.

Anyway, that's what worked for me... your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.