Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 Airport Extreme Extender with AT&T Uverse Wireless?

I have the new Apple Airport Extreme (2013) and an AT&T Uverse 3801HGV which has wireless built in. I'd like to extend the wireless network to my Apple Airport Extreme. The issue though is as simple as the Airport Utility is, when I say "Extend my Network", it only brings up the neighbors WiFi instead of mine which is closer and in the same building. My other option is to disable the Uverse wireless and plug via ethernet the AirPort Extreme but that defeats the purpose of extending the wireless network that is unless I got an additional AirPort extreme and then wirelessly connected it to the ethernet AirPort Extreme.

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 4:12 PM

Apple's "extend" function appears to be a proprietary feature with Apple, so it is extremely unlikely that an Apple product could extend a Uverse network wirelessly.

You will almost certainly need to connect the AirPort Extreme to the Uverse router using a permanent wired Ethernet connection if you want the AirPort to produce a wireless signal with Internet access.

unless I got an additional AirPort extreme and then wirelessly connected it to the ethernet AirPort Extreme.

That is an option that will work. If you decide to do this, it would be a good idea to turn off the wireless function on the Uverse router unless it is required for some special features.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2013 4:12 PM in response to appleoncewasmine

Apple's "extend" function appears to be a proprietary feature with Apple, so it is extremely unlikely that an Apple product could extend a Uverse network wirelessly.

You will almost certainly need to connect the AirPort Extreme to the Uverse router using a permanent wired Ethernet connection if you want the AirPort to produce a wireless signal with Internet access.

unless I got an additional AirPort extreme and then wirelessly connected it to the ethernet AirPort Extreme.

That is an option that will work. If you decide to do this, it would be a good idea to turn off the wireless function on the Uverse router unless it is required for some special features.

2013 Airport Extreme Extender with AT&T Uverse Wireless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.