Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Project Validation before burning a DVD

I made a movie via iMovie, it's about 98 minutes long and I have Dual Layer DVD's so that shouldn't be a problem. I've finished formatting the menus for the DVD and it's extras complete with clips and audio and I'm ready to burn the DVD, but when try to begin burning an error messege pops up that says

"There were errors during the project validation that have to be fixed before burning the project.

The following warnings and errors were found during the validation of the current project:

- There appears to be a broken asset in your project. Correct this problem before burning this project."

It provides a link to the DVD map to check for problems, but there aren't any warning triangles showing me where broken assets are. I don't know where to go from here! Help!!

iDVD '08, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 3:46 PM

2 replies

Aug 20, 2013 11:21 PM in response to Ginger008

Good evening, Ginger.

"Broken assets" typically mean something got moved to a different place on your hard drive. Could be a photo, song, video, menu background, etc. If this doesn't strike a bell, save/quit/restart your Mac, and see if iDVD now displays the broken asset.

It sounds like you used a lot of elements to build your DVD, so look through the map carefully.

If you still get the warning message, perhaps you'll need to build a new iDVD project, and test it at each major milestone. Create disk images (if you can) during the testing phase rather than use expensive dual-layer DVDs -- try using the Pro setting and see if you can get your project on a single layer DVD disc image. See Old Toad's work flow for creating disc images (eg: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5239052?start=0&tstart=0 )

John

Aug 21, 2013 9:15 AM in response to Ginger008

Try the following to determine if you have broken links and try to fix them:

1. close iDVD and then reopen the project.
  2. if you get this window you have broken links

User uploaded file

You can click on Find File and locate the file on your HD (difficult if it's in an iPhoto LIbrary) or do as J Keller suggests and create a new project .

The part of my post he was referring to in the link he provided is somewhat lost in my long winded post so here is it again:

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Project Validation before burning a DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.