Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.6.8 Internet recover (command + R at startup)

Everywhere I look I find that OS 10.6.8 CANNOT enter Internet Recovery mode, but I held down command + R at startup and was able to enter it. Everything looks like Lion (which I don't own), and I am asked if I want to reinstall Lion. What is going on here and why am I able to do this?

I entered this mode in order to copy my boot disk to a new SSD I bought using Disk Utility's 'Restore' function. Is it a bad idea to do this with OS 10.6.8?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 10:34 PM

OS X Recovery is only compatible with OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, and you have Snow Leopard. In your case, you have to use the Snow Leopard DVD you purchased to upgrade your Mac or the Mac OS X DVD that came with your Mac.

sleeknub wrote:

Everywhere I look I find that OS 10.6.8 CANNOT enter Internet Recovery mode, but I held down command + R at startup and was able to enter it

That means that your comptuer had Lion in the past and an old owner (or you) installed the firmware update that included Internet Recovery.

As you have Internet Recovery, you can consider the option of using Disk Utility from Internet Recovery, but this will clone a partition you do not need: Recovery HD.

Because of this, insert the Snow Leopard DVD and hold the C key while your Mac is starting. Choose your language, go to Utilities menu (on the menu bar) > Disk Utility, and clone your hard disk to the SSD > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU7.html

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2013 10:34 PM in response to sleeknub

OS X Recovery is only compatible with OS X Lion and Mountain Lion, and you have Snow Leopard. In your case, you have to use the Snow Leopard DVD you purchased to upgrade your Mac or the Mac OS X DVD that came with your Mac.

sleeknub wrote:

Everywhere I look I find that OS 10.6.8 CANNOT enter Internet Recovery mode, but I held down command + R at startup and was able to enter it

That means that your comptuer had Lion in the past and an old owner (or you) installed the firmware update that included Internet Recovery.

As you have Internet Recovery, you can consider the option of using Disk Utility from Internet Recovery, but this will clone a partition you do not need: Recovery HD.

Because of this, insert the Snow Leopard DVD and hold the C key while your Mac is starting. Choose your language, go to Utilities menu (on the menu bar) > Disk Utility, and clone your hard disk to the SSD > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU7.html

Aug 16, 2013 10:35 PM in response to sleeknub

There is no Internet Recovery with Snow Leopard. That was not introduced until Lion. To clone your boot disk to the SSD:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the new SSD. Source means the original boot drive.

Aug 16, 2013 11:47 PM in response to mende1

I have an early 2011 MBP. I purchased it BRAND NEW from the Apple store. I know for a fact that it has never, ever had any OS past 10.6.8 installed since I bought it (brand new, directly from the Apple store).

Everyone keeps saying what the two of you have said: 10.6.8 does not have Internet Recovery. Yet, here I am staring at my computer screen as I copy my MacOS partition to my new SSD. This is exactly why I am asking this question. I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tested it on a 10.6.8 machine, and can confirm that it does or does not work.

If it makes a difference, when I started (apparently in Internet recovery more) up I was asked to choose a network and renter the password. I then had to wait for a progress bar (probably for something to download, given the clues I received), which had a little clock or timer associated with it.

Sounds like InternetRrecovery to me. Again, I have only ever had Snow Leopard on this computer.

What gives?

OS 10.6.8 Internet recover (command + R at startup)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.