Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would I be able to restore every thing I backed up on Time Machine on another computer?

Last year we were given MacBooks for school to use at home for personal and educational reasons. I have been backing up regularly to Time Machine but next week I have to return my MacBook back to the school. Would I be able to restore every thing I backed up (to my hard drive through Time Machine) on to another computer when I buy one. And if so do I have to buy another MacBook or can I buy any Windows computer?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 4:54 AM

1 reply

Aug 18, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Gipssy Carrasco

When you first start up a new Mac it will ask you if you want to transfer data and it can do so from a Time Machine backup. It does not have to be a MacBook specifically, but it does have to be a Mac. There is not, at this time, a PC version of Time Machine that can read those backups.

If you decide to get a PC, you will need to borrow a Mac capable of reading the TM backups, transfer those files to it, and then transfer those files to a PC, usually over a network.

Best of luck.

Would I be able to restore every thing I backed up on Time Machine on another computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.