Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2008 iMac overheating

So i bought this 4gb 2.8ghz iMac off ebay. Straight away it was getting way to hot, the power supply was at 85C on a light load and the rest of the components were also over heating. Recently I supposely had it fixed, I got the logic board replaced at a hefty fee, but still, it gets far too hot. I wanna know what could be wrong with it, if it can be fixed and the dangers of letting it get this hot. If anyone could answer those three uestions, I'd be very greatful.

Many Thanks,

Jimi Nicol

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 5:42 AM

8 replies

Aug 18, 2013 5:47 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi the temps are:

CPU A heatsink - 39C

CPU A proximity - 43C

CPU A temperature diode - 39C

Display Screen proximity - 47C

Graphics processor chip - 54C

Graphics processor heatsink - 49C

Graphics processor temperature diode - 56C

Hard drive bay 1 - 50C

Main Logic board - 45C

Optical drive - 43C

Power supply position 1 - 74C

Smart Disk - 49C

Wireless Module - 56C

CPU core 1 - 42C

CPU core 2 - 41C

It is now evening so it is cool, and my mac's not really doing anything right now.

thanks

Aug 19, 2013 7:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

How about now?

CPU A heatsink - 52C

CPU A proximity - 53C

CPU A temperature diode - 57C

Display Screen proximity - 42C

Graphics processor chip - 70C

Graphics processor heatsink - 66C

Graphics processor temperature diode - 78C

Hard drive bay 1 - 54C

Main Logic board - 55C

Optical drive - 47C

Power supply position 1 - 82C

Smart Disk - 52C

Wireless Module - 52C

CPU core 1 - 56C

CPU core 2 - 59C

And with no direspect intended, what grounds do you base your judgement on? Do you know much about mac temps and the likes?

Aug 19, 2013 7:31 AM in response to jiminic

Your temps are warm now. First drear your machine have lots of ventilation. If the answere is yes then remove the RAM cover and vacuum out any dust. If it still gets warm then run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode 3 times in succession. If errors appear you have confirmed a hardware issue and the machine needs to go in for repair.

No offense taken, I am a level 7 person on these forums meaning I have helped many hundreds of other users and I also have 30+ years of computer experience on a wide variety of hardware and software.

Early 2008 iMac overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.