Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

free download of OS 9.2

i am trying to sell a friend's OLD Powerbook g3 (with docking station no less!), and i assumed that he had loaded it with some OS, but noooooo. nor does he have the disks for it. does anyone know where i can find a free download of OS 9.2 so i can load that on it, and then upgrade it as high as i can to sell it? the buyer can then go buy OS 10.2 if they want to. I'm not going to make enough to pay for 10.2, unless i can find a free OS 10.2 download, in which case i'd download that instead.

can anyone out there help this poor (and terribly non-technical) soul out?

by the way, i asume i can download it onto my laptop, burn a cd, and then start the old laptop from that cd, correct? or will that not work? HELP!!

thanks, stacie272

PowerBook, G3

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 10:56 AM

OS 9.2 is not free; no Mac OS has ever been free and no legal download sources exist.

You can try contacting Apple by phone and asking if they will sell you a replacement System disc for that specific PowerBook. If you are successful in communicating what you need, all you will require is the PowerBook's serial number and a credit card. The cost is not unreasonable - $20 or so.

Depending on the exact model number PowerBook G3, you may also be able to install a version of OS X up to and including Jaguar. Aftermarket sources exist; search your favourite software vendor. Apple no longer sells it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2013 10:56 AM in response to stacie272

OS 9.2 is not free; no Mac OS has ever been free and no legal download sources exist.

You can try contacting Apple by phone and asking if they will sell you a replacement System disc for that specific PowerBook. If you are successful in communicating what you need, all you will require is the PowerBook's serial number and a credit card. The cost is not unreasonable - $20 or so.

Depending on the exact model number PowerBook G3, you may also be able to install a version of OS X up to and including Jaguar. Aftermarket sources exist; search your favourite software vendor. Apple no longer sells it.

free download of OS 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.