Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Plug in style

Just wanted to check to see if there is hope....

I have the Airport Express the plug in style. I upgrade to the Extreme when it first came out and turned the Express in a range extender. I originally had two and one of them was opened up my a very deteremined and curious nephew.

The remainder was put in drawer until the kids got older. I've used it in the past as a wireless speaker connector to my wifi network. As of last month all it does is flash the amber color. I have reset it and tried turning it back into a range extender, but when it reboots for the new settings it just keeps blinking and Airport Utility says it can't located it.

Is there hope or should I send it to electronic device heaven?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 4 HD,3GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 11:21 AM

9 replies

Aug 17, 2013 7:36 PM in response to Robert Pena

Before giving up on the Express, temporarily connect it to your computer with an Ethernet cable, and then, try accessing it with the AirPort Utility to determine why it has a flashing amber status light.

A persistent, flashing amber light indicates that any of the several potential conditions may require your attention:

• The base station has not yet been configured because it is new, or the reset switch has been set.
  • You have selected a security configuration that is not recommended.
  • One of several other conditions, such as a disconnected Ethernet cable or invalid IP address has been detected.

(ref: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305101)

If you run the AirPort Utility, it will show an amber circle on the summary page next to the area(s) causing the problem. Click on this amber circle and it should provide an explanation.

Aug 18, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Tesserax

I managed to get access to it through the ethernet cable. I have done this beforre, but when I make changes then and now it disappears after it reboots.

This time I didn't step by step and rebooted. I got a solid green light on the Airport Utility 5.6, but the airport itself still flashes amber.

I see it on my iTunes as remote speakers so I am guessing it might be still flashing because it's not set up to access the internet. There's no 'Ignore' option for that internet access.

Thank you for your response. Anything else you can add is greately apprecated.

Aug 18, 2013 5:48 PM in response to Tesserax

That's how I am accessing it. Once I reset it to factory settings I can see it and access it wirelessly. When I tried to set it up I make it go through ethernet. It seemed to fuctional when on ethernet. As soon as I get it to try to joing the existing wireless network it disappears and I can't access it by either wirelessly or by ethernet cable.

Aug 19, 2013 9:27 AM in response to Robert Pena

You do understand that when you configure the Express to "join" another wireless network it becomes a wireless client and not another wireless router ... correct? You would not be able to "see" it on the network ... BUT you still should be able to access it via the AirPort Utility or from iTunes for streaming. If that is not the case, please try the steps in the following Apple Support article. If it still does not work, again you may be right in that it has failed.

Aug 20, 2013 8:08 PM in response to Tesserax

That's what I mean when I say I can't access it after I get it to join the network. It doesn't show up in the older Airport Utility. I have done this before and had no issues. I almsot feel that I could still use it as a stand alone router, but to use Airplay for speakers I need to connect it to my network to access the bigger music library on my Mac Pro.

I will try the link you provided. Maybe I missed it something or there's a change from the last firmware update.

Thanks for your help.

Aug 21, 2013 8:03 PM in response to Robert Pena

To bring this thread to a close.

I followed the link provided by Tesserax and it was the same set up I have used before to use my Airport Express plug as a wireless speaker connection. Sadly, I tried setting it up as a stand alone router to see if I could. Once set up and rebooted the router disappears from the Airport Utility and I can't access unless I reset to factory setting. It either flashed a constant amber light or solid amber light. During initial set up it will flash a green for a second then return to amber.

I think it's safe to say 'Rest In Peace' you lasted as long as you did when you first came out on the market.

The End.

Airport Express Plug in style

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.