Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lose internet access

We have a G5 running 10.5.8.

It recently began losing Internet access. After login, we can access the Internet for varying lengths of time, then suddenly can't. The only fix is to log out, then log in again. PITA!

It is not Safari, as I've tried other browsers. Dashboard widgets lose connection at the same time. Any ideas??

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 3:36 PM

8 replies

Aug 17, 2013 3:57 PM in response to entertain

If Klaus1's advice doesn't help...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Aug 19, 2013 6:41 AM in response to BDAqua

While I have not created a new account, this Mac has two: one for the end user, and my Admin account. Yesterday I logged in as Admin, and surfed the Internet to see if the issue presented itself.

Oddly enough, it did. I then switched back to the User account expecting Internet access to be disrupted. It was not! Eventually I did get the issue to occur for the User account as well. Then I had to log out of both accounts in order to reestablish Internet access.

Aug 23, 2013 11:01 AM in response to entertain

Hmmm, check System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the Proxies tab, what is set there?

Also, are you running in a Managed, or Admin account? Parental Controls enabled?

In Sys Prefs>Security>Firewall, what is allowed there to connect?

Are you running any Anti Virus or web safety software?

lose internet access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.