Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMail - read receipt trouble.Stuffed up coding via Terminal!

Can anyone help my please!!

I have a Mac and use MacMail. I tried coding via Terminal to get read receipt for emails. Now I get an permanent error whenever I bcc which reads bcc@example.com followed by a MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com error email reading ...

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<bcc@example.com>:

Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)

What have I done?

I put in the following coding in originally:

defaults write com.apple.mail UserHeaders '{Bcc = "bcc@example.com"; "Disposition-Notification-To" = "Heinz Tschabitscher <sender@example.com>"; }'

via this website http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_request_recp.htm

I tried the following to remove it but it hasn't worked.

To turn requesting a read receipt for every message back off:

Execute "defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders" at Terminal command prompt to delete all custom headers or set UserHeaders back to what it was before you added "Disposition-Notification-To".

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Suppose I shouldn't have messed with it in the first place!

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 7:49 PM

2 replies

Aug 18, 2013 1:31 AM in response to Theefromnzl

You're not supposed to ACTUALLY write "bcc@example.com" or "sender@example.com". You're supposed to replace those with the email address you want the notification to go to.

Email notifications are a waste of time. Very few email programs actually send them, and if your recipient uses a client which doesn't (most webmail does not send notifications), you have no idea if they read the message or not.

To fix what you've done, write this in Terminal

Defaults delete com.apple.mail UserHeaders

And then log out and back in again.

Matt

MacMail - read receipt trouble.Stuffed up coding via Terminal!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.