Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tried online recovery mode. ANY WAY I can RECOVER my data WITHOUT HAVING SET "TIME MACHINE"?? Kindly advice.

i tired installing Windows 7 using bootcamp and aborted mid-way. The screen went black and just a flickering "_" sign. I tried rebooting system and then used " command+option+R" this lead me to online recovery mode and asked me to restore from either installing OS X again or taking recovery from TIME MACHINE. Since i never set up my time machine i can not restore from there. Kindly let me know if i can save my data. I do not want to lose my data. Need help..

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 8:54 PM

1 reply

Aug 18, 2013 2:59 AM in response to sahilsahni123

OSX seems to be damaged, but your data is not necessarily lost.

Is there a reason you used Option+Cmd+R instead of Cmd+R? There's a difference:

• Cmd+R downloads and reinstalls the most current version of OSX that's now on your Mac (without disturbing anything else, unless you erase first).

• Option+Cmd+R downloads and reinstalls the most current version of OSX that your Mac shipped with (also without disturbing anything else). So if your Mac came with Mountain Lion, it would install Lion.

See OS X: About OS X Recovery for details.

In either case, before selecting Reinstall Mac OS X, first go to Disk Utility and run Repair Disk on your internal HD. If that finds and fixes anything, that might be all you need to do. See #6 in Using Disk Utility if you're not sure how to do that.

Until that's done, however, you won't know if there's any damage to your data.

EDIT: Needless to say, start making backups immediately and regularly. You might want to review the Time Machine Tutorial, and perhaps browse Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions. If for some reason you don't want to use Time Machine, see #27 in the FAQ link for some alternatives.

Message was edited by: Pondini

tried online recovery mode. ANY WAY I can RECOVER my data WITHOUT HAVING SET "TIME MACHINE"?? Kindly advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.