Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you put a diacritic overdot over a consonant?

I know that you can put overdots on the letter E by holding down the key and the selecting it from the pop up menu, eg. Ė, But there doesn't seem to be such an option for consonants, at least in the English keyboard. So does anyone have a work around? ^^;

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 1:10 AM

7 replies

Aug 18, 2013 4:04 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks. (^^)/ It's not a seamless solution, but it will do.

In case someone else with a similar question ends up reading this: I chose the Unikey app where I created a keyboard that had the required dotted characters, (separate keys for uppercase and lowercase). The new keyboard is only accessible within Unikey, but it has a little notepad where you can type what you want and then copy paste it into another app.

Aug 18, 2013 1:17 AM in response to Arabidopsis

You will probably need to find and add an extra keyboard via Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard - when you have more than one keyboard selected on that screen you will get a 'globe' key to the left of the spacebar when typing allowing you to cycle between them (if you have spell checking enabled then that will be based on the keyboard that you are using).

Aug 18, 2013 2:41 AM in response to King_Penguin

Irish is the language I want to be able to type. ^^ (Yes, standard practice is to use a h instead of a dot, but I'd like to have the option.) There's an Irish keyboard (two actually, one with dots and one without) in the Mac OS but none in the iOS.

Though surely if an iPad or iPhone can display dotted letters then it must be able to produce them.

Aug 18, 2013 2:47 AM in response to Arabidopsis

To be able to type them they need to be on one of the built-in keyboards. If you can't find them on any of the existing layouts then you could try leaving feedback for Apple and they might get added in a future iOS update (even if they just add add them as options to the keys on the English keyboard layout instead of having a separte Irish layout) : http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

How do you put a diacritic overdot over a consonant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.