Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware failure

When my two external Time Machine hard drives gave out a month ago one after the other within weeks, both only 2 years old, I thought this was bad luck. I bought two new WD drives, and now, one has the same hardware failure! Disk Utilty can't repair it, DiskWarrior says "Directory cannot be rebuilt due to a hardware failure (-36, 2747)".

Is my MBP killing these drives? I can't believe this is happening just by accident!

Posted on Aug 18, 2013 1:04 AM

3 replies

Aug 18, 2013 2:20 AM in response to Peter R.

The actual physical drives inside the WD enclosures may be totally fine. I have found that most of the time the Enclosure Electronics is what fails on the WD external drive I've had. This is VERY COMMON, in my experience. So Like the other poster I have stopped buy WD externals and switched to Seagate. So far I haven't had any problems with the Seagate externals.

By the way I still use all of my WD drives. I just had to take them out of the WD enclosure and connect them with a IDE/SATA to USB adapter I have (actually I have 3 of those adapters. Best money I ever spent on computer hardware).

Hardware failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.